What I Bought the Kid for Christmas - Go Ahead and Judge

Today I was on daycare duty - blech. I hate doing it because it is emotionally hard and I know he has been difficult recently and I hate the thought of bringing him to a place where they almost "dread" having him there. He didn't want to go in so I had to do the old fireman carry over the shoulder and launch him over the baby gate while he cried. Kid, you're killing me, here. The only positive is that tomorrow is the last time this year that I have to take him and the great thing is, is that he will only have 4 more days in January. I wish he could comprehend that. I wish we could just get started at the Montessori and I can start wearing Birkenstocks (ha ha. Like that would ever happen). January is going to be an incredibly difficult month. I need to take at least a week or two of half days for his "integration" time starting January 13th. I'll pretty much bring him there at 8:30, then sit with him for an hour: it is up to him to make the decision to go in - school policy. A year ago I would have laughed and rolled my eyes but at this point, I will even contemplate co-sleeping if it ensures that he's happy.

The Montessori also expects the parents to come and make lunch with and for the kids at least once a month. I had a fleeting idea of a menu of pan seared steak, caramelized carrots and creme brullee but apparently Amazon doesn't sell torches for toddlers. I think I will stick to a tomato soup and couscous with veg. Kids like couscous. Kids like soup. A year ago I would have completely vetoed a place that expected parents to cook but once again, whatever makes him happier. Oh the guilt trips he will get when he is older!

I think 2014 will be infinitely better than 2013 in the Kid department. We still have 2-3 more sessions at the centre and the suggestion seems to be ergotherapy and speech therapy. Whatever it takes!

Yesterday a friend was over and the Kid demanded to watch Donald Duck again by screaming "QUACK QUACK!". When I set up the DVD he sat on the sofa and announced clearly and calmly "I like Quack Quack." It blew me away and made me so incredibly happy that he said a sentence. It truly is the little things. Then when it was time for bed he freaked out and didn't want pj's and I was like "Fine! Be cold!" And then I woke up at midnight to cover him with about 6 blankets.

Anyway, Christmas is a big deal in our house and I always seem to come up with a reason why "this year has to be really really special" Reasons in years past have been:

It's our first Christmas as a married couple
It's our first Christmas that I have a stable job
It's our last Christmas before the baby arrives
It's the Kid's first Christmas
It's the Kid's first Christmas where he can use his hands

This year it is: the Kid gets excited about things

Next year will be: the Kid understands the idea of Santa

I can always find a reason to go BIG! So, since I have no shame in spoiling the Kid at Christmas, here is the ridiculous list of crap he will receive. No doubt he will have a sensory meltdown and he will have to take a break....

- lots and lots of Hot Wheels
- Thomas the tank engine train (my mother bought him the motorized track)
- Play parking garage (Kid paved paradise)
- Some books
- Pjs for Christmas day (he will care less)
- A toy plane
- Hot Wheels track
- lots and lots of Hot Wheels (I will individually wrap them to prolong the unwrapping)

And there you have it, my I'm sorry mommy has to work and leave you at that horrible daycare but it will get better I love you gift list. CANNOT WAIT!







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Key Word Post

A Tova Movie Re-cap: Bram Stoker's Dracula

The Way Some People Find my Blog and a Challenge