Making a Vision and Gratitude Journal

I've talked about The Secret before as well as positive thinking. I read the book a few years ago and since then, every year, I make a new vision board - but in journal form. A vision board is kind of like a visual wish list and I love it. You might not believe in the "universe providing" or "positive attracts positive" but I truly believe that anything that gets me to a better mental state is worth investing in. This year has been one of my darkest years and I'm not sure I would have handled it as well as I did if I wasn't so positive. I've cut out a lot of negativity in my life (and I need to do some more) and I have found that for the most part I am happier. And now, as the year comes to an end, it is time to make a new journal.

To make one, I think about all I want for the upcoming year. It can be anything - a waistline would be nice. Then I cut out pictures and tape them into a notebook and write what I want. It's cathartic and the Husband teases me about it but he won't be laughing once we get our dream apartment. Take that, ye of little faith! My journal also includes my goals for the year - which I will actually write up on this blog in the next day or two (lucky you. sorry). I also have a space for my daily top ten things I am grateful for. There are days when it can be hard to come up with 10 things to be grateful for but even something like "I am grateful the button on my pants held" is good enough. It becomes easier over time to write what one is grateful for. Here's one; I am grateful for this blog because Tova seems like the awesomest person ever. You are welcome.

Looking back at my journal for 2013, I can see that a lot of things did happen for me and it is pretty exciting. And I truly can't wait for what 2014 will bring. By writing it down on paper, it almost becomes a blueprint for what I want to happen. I truly believe that thinking positively in all aspects of my life has brought back positive things. I'm not Pollyanna and some grudges do take a while to get over. And for the most part, while I don't really hold grudges (anymore), I don't forget either and I have learnt to work around it. I used to sit and stew and come up with elaborate scenarios where someone who had wronged me would get their comeuppance (I'm looking at you Gourmet Spar). It was only temporarily satisfying. Then I realized that I was spending too much time and energy on negativity and switched my thinking. Why give someone headspace who is out to hurt you? No, instead I decided on the mantra "Success is the best revenge" and I think it is so true. I don't want revenge but I want to be happy and I will never understand people who can't be happy for other people. It takes so much less energy to wish people well than to plan their demise. For reals. As I've said before, other people's success is my success as well and it should be celebrated. Life's too short to be jealous and consumed with hate. Gawd, I do sound like freaking Pollyanna! I should probably have some Scotch and kick a pigeon to counter that.

So that is what today will consist of. Cutting out pictures and making a collage of my wants for 2014! Trust me, it's cheap therapy and what's the harm? Oohh! Look! A Chanel purse! Oh! A pony!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Key Word Post

A Tova Movie Re-cap: Bram Stoker's Dracula

The Way Some People Find my Blog and a Challenge