Throwback Thursdays - Bridget Jones

Bridget Jones may not be a Christmas film but it is to me. I have seen it a bazillion times and still love it. The books were good (I will mention the third one later on) and the films were great. Well, the first one was incredible, the second one, not as much... but still good. The fight scene by the fountain was quite possibly one of the best scenes of all time and therefore brought the second film up to a better standing.

Why oh why do I love Bridget Jones so much? Well, because, she is incredibly relatable. I think so many of us have been in situations where we see how Bridget Jones reacts and think, "yes, totally me". She is the average, yet funny and endearing, girl next girl and she gets the guy.. well, guys.

I love so many aspects of the film and here are some of the reasons why:

This doesn't need much of an explanation but let's just say that this is me most of the weekend. Finally a film where the heroine isn't wearing Juicy Couture and looking fab. Nope, this is kind of like real life.


If you are above 30, have had a kid and look like me, you are no stranger to the large ugly panties. Until I lose weight, these are the ones for me. I fear what could happen were I to start wearing a thong again. One false move or an ill timed cough and I could end up in the emergency room.


Hugh Grant was hot in this film. He was the ultimate bad boy and you knew deep down he had feelings for Bridget. And he was hot. So very hot. Hot hot hot!


There have been times I have worn the wrong thing to a party.


Happy endings are my thing and this was quite possibly the best happy ending to a film, ever.


And this look. The Husband is my Mr. Darcy and this look says it all. The Husband has given me this look a handful of times. He most recently gave me this look when I bought him a TV guide and highlighted his favourite shows.

And this now brings me to my opinion of the third Bridget Jones book that I have not read and I will never read. If you don't want spoilers, skip this part. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD MAN! SKIP THIS PARAGRAPH!

Ok, so apparently Helen Fielding makes Bridget Jones a widow. A widow with two kids. WHAT? WHAT THE HELL, HELEN?! DA HELL WERE YOU THINKING? ARE YOU MAD!?!? Ok, I know that life doesn't always have a happy ending but why does one of my favourite characters have to lose Mr. Darcy? There could have been so much potential for a hilarious 3rd book. Bridget Jones as a mother, happily married - but the mishaps she would have! Bridget bringing wine to a morning playgroup. Bridget being ostracized by the Yummy Mummy Brigade. Bridget getting kicked out of a baby group because she made one little joke that was actually really funny and that other woman should have just loosened up. I did not liken your child to a dog. I just said that if you choose to have a leash for your child, people won't judge you unless you tie him up outside the grocery store when you go shopping. THAT IS ALL I SAID... I mean, Bridget, hypothetically said., um, cough. So, yeah, darn you Helen Fielding. I curse the third book. I want my fairytale ending!

Bridget Jones rocked my world when I watched it for the first time in 2001. I was not in a great place and all I wanted was to meet my Mr. Darcy. I also wanted to meet me, too. It was a few months later after watching this film, that I met the Husband. And the rest, as they say, is history.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Key Word Post

A Tova Movie Re-cap: Bram Stoker's Dracula

The Way Some People Find my Blog and a Challenge