Why We Should All Live By The Words of Karen Walker

In college, my nickname was Karen Walker and that pleased me to bits. Yay! Rich drinker! Awesome! Now when someone says, "you remind me of someone" I nod knowingly and smugly smile and ask "Karen Walker?" and then they are like "No, Roseanne Barr." I joke. This hasn't happened.... yet. The thing that was so fabulous about Karen Walker was her self confidence and of course, her wit. And what made her so endearing was that she was a good friend... Bitchy, but still a good friend.


Being confident is a struggle for me daily. Sure, sometimes I think "Well, I'm just fabulous!" and other days I feel like Ryan Seacrest aged 8. I think we all struggle with keeping it together. It gets easier with age but a lack of confidence can be crippling. And I am a hard master to my sometimes lack of self esteem. My biggest struggle? Weight. And it is a continuous struggle but you know what? Why do I let it define who I am? Oh yeah, because I still struggle with self confidence. I need a lot of validation... that is why I write this blog. Lately I have been getting incredible and awesome feedback and that makes me feel loved and cocky and then I stand in front of the mirror and think, well, who's going to read about my journey to becoming hot when I keep battling these 20 pounds? But then, I recently decided to change the mantra of this blog.

Do I want to look fabulous and outshine the other mothers at daycare? Well hell yes. Do I want my husband to think he's got an aged trophy wife? Well hell yes. Do I want to be a good mother, good wife, good friend, successful writer and allround good person? Well hell yes. And wait, that last part has nothing to do with weight. Aha! And then the lightbulb goes off and I realise that maybe, just maybe if I focus on something else, like papier mache (OMG! Just got an awesome idea for papier mache witches.. lemme write that down, brb) ahem, cough, or focus on all the fabulousness I already have in my life and the fabulousness of me just being me, maybe just maybe I will find myself and the weight issue just won't be an issue anymore. Well Karen Walker, here's to you! I toast you as my alter ego and as Gucci is my witness, from this day forward (or until I try on something too tight) I am just going to let my weight issue go. Huzzah! I'm free! Now where's my drink?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Key Word Post

A Tova Movie Re-cap: Bram Stoker's Dracula

The Way Some People Find my Blog and a Challenge