Chilling the Eff Out

It was one of those awesome weekends. Friday we chilled and ate takeout and watched TV. Saturday morning I was all smug in the rain in my awesome new boots and oversized serial killer raincoat. Which I hung in the apartment building hallway so that every time the Husband walked out the door, he would have a mini heart attack. Oh hahaha.. That was fun.

We were invited a to a friend's daughter's 3 year bday party and we said "Mais oui! And are you serving the alcohol?" Because she lives on the other side of town and I'm high maintenance when it comes to hills (the hills are not alive with the sound of music. They are alive with the sound of my lungs trying to escape through my chest... and swearing. Lots and lots of swearing) we ordered a taxi. With carseat in tow, we made our happy way to the party. Now, I'm going to preface this story by telling you I think my Kid is awesome. He is wild and precocious, but his sense of humour, his affection and his curiosity is amazing and I think he will turn out just fine... once we make it past the terrible twos, the tenacious threes and into the fearful fours (I'm hoping he will come to fear me somewhat in the future. #mommydreams). We arrived at their lovely house in the vineyards and the Kid, overcome with so MANY NEW THINGS TO TOUCH AND LOOK AT!!! proceeded TO TOUCH ALL THE THINGS!!! I believe I kept asking the hostess "ANTIQUE OR TOY?!?! ANTIQUE OR TOY?!?"

I get it, I'm a stress case. Now, I am going to admit that I have made leaps and bounds in terms of dealing with the Kid in recent months. I no longer care that I get the stink eye when he is loud in public. At home, his temper tantrums have me laughing and while walking along the street (with his hand in mine in a death grip), I'm pretty chill. But when we are at someone's house and they got nice stuff, I go a little mental. Luckily the rain stopped so we were able to toss him outside after a little while. Of course, once outside, he decided to sit in a planter of beautiful mums (I am so very sorry, I owe you flowers), discover an apple tree attached to a rope that WOW HOW MUCH FUN IS IT TO PULL PULL PULL AND KNOCK ALL THE APPLES OF THE TREE (I am so very sorry, I owe you apples) and of course, stand at the top of stairs while doing goofy movements, with absolutely no awareness that he could fall which kept leading me to sprint across the yard faster than you can say Usain Bolt.

After my second glass of wine I chilled out a little because I know, I really really know, that he picks up on my stress and ergo, turns into a demon (an adorable demon). The party was great and all the kids were so well behaved, sorry, all the other kids were sell behaved. There were great cupcakes and great wine and nice people. It was great! After two hours we headed home, apologized for everything, took the taxi (same driver, we're buds now) back and then I got started on dinner. A friend came over shortly thereafter, the Husband took his parental units out for dinner and friend and I drank wine, ate dinner and caught up. I was exhausted by the end. But the good kind of exhausted.

Sunday morning was cleaning time. Then the three of us took a long nap. And in the afternoon we took a ride on Ubahns and trams and dropped off golf clubs (long story) and then headed back home. Got off a couple stops earlier and walked hand in hand with the Kid back to our place. It was idyllic. Absolutely  J.C. Penny commercial perfect.

So, the moral of the story is, is that I need to just chill. Just let him be and let him fall down and let him learn because quite frankly, I don't want a bubble boy because when he turns 18, I want him out of the house, attending some sort of college and meeting girls or boys. I do not want a 30 year old yelling at me to do his laundry and maxing out my credit card to download the newest version of World of Warcraft. No offense to players of World of Warcraft. I just don't get it. World of Project Runway? Now that's a computer game I could play... And so there you have it, resolution for 2013, one of so many, for me to chill the eff out.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Key Word Post

A Tova Movie Re-cap: Bram Stoker's Dracula

The Way Some People Find my Blog and a Challenge