Date Night Watching Date Night

It was a fun weekend and a decadent weekend and now it is time to buckle down and cleanse a little. I made magic muffins over the weekend and here is the link to the recipe (I actually don't put the brown sugar in, just a couple of drops of sweetener). This recipe is from my mom and they are a great way to fill up during the day. My body, it hurts after weeks of eating crap on and off.

On Friday we sent the Kid to the inlaws for the night. We had decided to go out for a quick dinner but I thought, meh, let's order an American style pizza, drink beer and watch a film at the regular volume. All things, minus the beer, that we can't do when the Kid is home. It was a fun fun night. 

We watched Date Night starring Steve Carrell and Tina Fey and I thought it was laugh out loud funny. Probably a funny film normally, but with beer, a hilarious film. 


I like this film because it wasn't a typical romantic comedy and to be completely honest, I am kind of done with formulaic romantic comedies. I've been married for almost 10 years and I don't need to see a couple, in a beautiful exotic location, fall in love within a couple of nights. I kind of want to yell "Of course you fell in love! You are on a beach/in Tuscany/in a cabin drinking Mimosas/wine/beer." Hell, I'd fall in love with anyone in that setting. What I want to see is the couple 5 years from now, dealing with hectic mornings, screaming kids and full time jobs. I want the woman to wear control top pantyhose and the guy getting his back shaved and see them still be just as enamored, if not slightly jaded, with each other. That's love.

Now, When Harry Met Sally is one of the few exceptions that I make for a romantic comedy. But that film is the ultimate film of films portraying love. Here are couple of romantic comedies that I like and I reserve the right to be judged:

Story of Us- Starring Michelle Pfeiffer and Bruce Willis. I like this film because it is pretty real. This couple has been together for a long time and, well, life gets in the way. I cried at the end. Totally cried.


Fool's Gold- Starring Matthew McConaughey and Kate Hudson. This film was panned but when she hits him with the golf club, I thought I would rupture a spleen.


The Heartbreak Kid- Starring Ben Stiller and Malin Akerman. Malin Akerman is absolutely awesome in this film. I guess I am just a ho for anything Farrelly Brother's-made.


The Addams Family 1 and 2- They are romantic comedies. I dare you to disagree.



And that is my Monday morning post that has no real point but to say that sometimes, date nights at home sans Kid can be spectacularly awesome. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Key Word Post

A Tova Movie Re-cap: Bram Stoker's Dracula

The Way Some People Find my Blog and a Challenge