An Ode to Chick Lit

Life has a funny way of throwing coincidences our way. The other day I was on Twitter and looked up and followed Jen Lancaster and then after that, Twitter (you intuitive thing, you) suggested I follow Jennifer Weiner and since I am easily persuaded I thought "sure!". And I did. Anyway, later that day I picked up the August issue of Marie Claire (I live in Europe, we're behind) and there was an article about Jennifer Weiner and I was like "hey, we're Twitter buddies and I enjoy your books, let's see what this article is about." And wow. I thought it was a pretty awesome article and I was impressed. To sum it up, Ms. Weiner has been taking the New York Times Book Review to task. She believes that it is sexist and elitist and that it pretty much blasts any form of chick lit. And for that, I applaud her. Chick lit has exploded in recent years and I'll be damned if this genre is considered "fluff".

Have you ever read Marian Keyes? No? Do, she is a fantastic writer (but that book Anybody Out There? I died, I literally (heh) died. Why Marian? Why? Sniff). Helen Fielding (creator of Bridget Jones) is witty and awesome and made support panties a-ok. Jennifer Weiner has written In Her Shoes, Good in Bed, The Next Best Thing and so on and has made millions but yet, she's not a "real writer"? I find that infuriating. Of course she is a real writer. It is completely sexist to disparage her and other authors...because you know what? Plenty of successful and intelligent women read these books. So screw you literary critics and your knowledge of Faulkner and Hemingway... Give me my chick lit anyday. Ten bucks Hilary Clinton and Angela Merkel have Bridget Jones on their Kindle. Book snobbery is obnoxious. End of my mini rant and a quick thank you to Ms. Weiner for fighting the good fight. I even tweeted her and she tweeted back and I was all like "well, now I'm famous." heh.

I mentioned Jen Lancaster above and I have to tell you, her books are incredible. I laugh out loud every time I read one of her books and that is unusual. I might chortle, I might do a little "heh", but guffaw? Never ever. When I lost my job a few years ago, I was devastated. My work productivity was fine so it all came down to office politics and it was personal. It took a trip to Vegas and the birth of my son to really move on from that event and one thing that also helped me was Lancaster's book Bitter is the New Black. It spoke to me and it returned some of my confidence. Thank you, Jen Lancaster. And this is another example of how chick lit is awesome and why, like Jennifer Weiner, I get pizzed that people will blast this genre. Ridic.

So anyway, that's my rant of the day and there will be more to come because everyday something riles me up. Like the Husband last night. It finally rained and he wouldn't let me go out in my new rain boots and stand in the rain because I am sick. Tyrant. And yes, I am sick still and mainlining Nyquil so today will be spent on the couch watching Murder She Wrote. Happy Wednesday!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Key Word Post

A Tova Movie Re-cap: Bram Stoker's Dracula

The Way Some People Find my Blog and a Challenge