Home With a Sick Kid

The Kid is sick. He has a cold. It started on the weekend. My mother in law was kind enough to take care of him yesterday but today is my turn. The Husband has to go to a meeting out of town and it is the Mother in law's bday today. The Husband didn't think it would be very nice for us to ask her to watch a hacking coughing child on her birthday (apparently my argument "but she's had so many birthdays!!!" didn't fly with him). And actually, I think I am coming down with something so it works out.

It is amazing how much more relaxed I am about the Kid getting sick. I remember when I started working and he started daycare and our morning theme song was "Freestyler" and how it seemed that almost every other week he got unbelievably ill. I was a zombie my first few months at my job and I'd tell people at work how he was sick again and they would be all like; they are so sweet when they are sick. And I would be all like; sweet?!?! He's talking in tongues! But now that he is older, I am much more relaxed about the common cold. However, based on my behaviour a couple of weeks ago when the Kid had a super high fever, I am apparently still not relaxed about fevers. I do get all Gary Oldman Bram Stoker Dracula climbing the walls when the Kid's fever peaks.


I reserve the right to turn into a screaming harpy. Anyway, speaking of kids (booooring), I rewatched Pretty Wicked Moms again and I had to laugh at the woman who's 1 year old son is a model. Oh lady, is he a model? Like a real model? Does he eat kleenex to stop hunger pangs? Does he consider cigarettes and coffee to be a well rounded meal? No? Then he isn't a model. He's a prop. I jest I jest. I guess I just have come to the realisation that my son will never be a model/pageant participator. I think he's cute. I think he's intelligent but this is also a kid that when presented with a shirt he doesn't like, grabs it from my hands, stuffs it in the laundry basket and then walks back to me shrugging his shoulders like "Dude, it just disappeared. No idea where it went..." and he does this in his room which has glass as a wall so we can see him. See him hiding his stuff. Sigh. Another quirk is that he once in a while will bring me Vicks Vaporub and a pair of socks and asks me to smear that crap onto his feet. Apparently I birthed an 80 year old Jewish man. Mazel Tov.We have high hopes he marries well. Rachel Zoe is pregnant again, maybe he can hook up with that one.

So, I sit here, with my cup of java, grateful to have an understanding boss, as the Kid hacks up another lung. I enjoy getting to at least spend some time with him and just hope he recovers soon.

In other news, I have a sneaking suspicion that the Husband is going to smother me in my sleep tonight. For years we have had fights about renting versus buying (we currently live rent free thanks to his parents). I have yelled, I have cursed, I have even thrown out the "why don't you want a mortgage?!?! Do you not think we will be together in 20 years?!?! Are you having an affair with the woman downstairs?!?! Granted she's attractive but she's a bitch! Is that why you only want to rent?!" deep breath. So this has been going on for years and then I was reading a great book at the gym (Jen Lancaster, she's highlarious!) and she talks about renting and now, it doesn't seem like such a bad thing for a little while. We could do it for a few years because me thinks the Husband will not sign a 20 year mortgage for half a million euros. I'm guessing here. So wish me luck when I tell him that I think renting is ok, tonight.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Key Word Post

A Tova Movie Re-cap: Bram Stoker's Dracula

The Way Some People Find my Blog and a Challenge