The Tale of the Bed Part II

Yesterday we travelled to a magical land far far away. A land where the air smells of meatballs, paper lamps line your way and friendly bookshelves greet you as you pass. 2 euro corkscrews sparkle in the sun and bowls as large as your head whisper in excited voices. A land so magical that you can't just "buy one" thing but rather purchase napkins for pennies and toilet brushes for 99 cents. It is truly a magical place. This magical land called Ikea.

The mother in law watched the Kid yesterday for a few hours so that the Husband and I could go. Boy did we have a blast! Something that would have been pain inducing before child was an exciting outing for us. We were like a new couple, holding hands and admiring kitchen set ups. I carried the large yellow bag and threw in stuff just because I could. I was smitten.

The true reason we went to Ikea was to look at the bed of my dreams. We found it and I fell more in love. The Husband exclaimed "It's so big!" and I was like "Things always look bigger in Ikea". He expressed more doubts and I may or may not have cried a little. We had travelled so far and this bed was just within my grasp. We were able to get some assistance and the magical Ikea lady was friendly and helpful. We were about to order it, the tears helped, when I stopped and said "Wait! I never measured our old bed! But I am sure our mattress will fit this one." Cue loud sigh from the Husband. For some reason I believed our current bed was 180 x 200, or perhaps 160 x 200? The Husband found a bed that was 140 x 200 and asked if I thought our bed was that size "Pfft. No way. That's a kid's bed." Yeah, our bed is actually 140 x 200. I can't believe it. I've been in an abusive relationship with our bed - isolated from other beds. Being told that I will never find a bed as good as the one I have now. I was so cowed that I never realized we have been sleeping on a bed that is perfect for a 12 year old gymnast. Sob.

The problem is now is that we will have to buy the whole bed set and that will cost close to 1200 euros with delivery and building so I do believe my dreams have been dashed. Yes, I am sad. I didn't realize this until we got home yesterday so at least our Ikea trip was still fun. Meatballs and red wine was consumed and Swedes actually sat beside us, the authenticity was, like, amazing. We did walk away with:

- napkins for the Halloween party
- a toy for the Kid
- a chair for the Kid
- a corkscrew
- a toilet cleaner
- pillowcases for Halloween
- a couple of notebooks

All in all, not a bad haul. It was actually an amazing couple of hours and I chalk it up to one of our best dates. Thank you Ikea for putting the magic back in our marriage. But screw you Ikea for denying me my bed of my dreams.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Key Word Post

A Tova Movie Re-cap: Bram Stoker's Dracula

The Way Some People Find my Blog and a Challenge