Hello 2014!

Yay! Finally 2014! You took your time! Last night was totally chill and I really was not in the mood to knock back a lot of drinks. So this morning I feel pretty chipper and bright eyed and bushy tailed! The Kid slept until 8:30. I am not sure why because he went to bed his normal time. We were ready for his screams when the fireworks started, but he slept through it all. This from a kid who wakes up when I turn a page of my magazine. I guess the sounds of a war zone is soothing to him. I'm going to have to look into more therapy.

This morning I am taking down all the Christmas decorations. It is bittersweet because I love Christmas but now I am really ready to start the new year. The new year kind of reminds me of that first day of school when you take out a brand new notebook. It's completely empty and ready for notes and the edges are straight and you do your best to write clearly. I like to think of the new year as a fresh slate, a clean notebook, a chance to start new. And that is why I love New Year resolutions (cue loud sigh from youse guys). And so, here are my resolutions from 2014 (they kind of tie in with my goals that I posted the other day).

New Year's Resolutions 2014

Getting organized - apartment wise

I mentioned this before but I didn't go into too much detail. So every month I am going to work on a room in the apartment and show no mercy. Crap is going to be tossed. The schedule gonna be like this:
January: the Kid's room; tossing and donating old toys, clothes and general crap
February: the hallway; organizing shoes, purchasing baskets for the Kid's stuff, clearing out the bookshelves (switching books into the closet and using the shelves for my shoes and purses for easier access)
March: the walk-in closet and the bedroom
April: the kitchen
May: the living room
June: the bathroom

By July, I should be able to buy more crap!

And a friend at work told me about this idea - photo yearbooks. Every month, create a file and put in your favourite 10-15 pictures. At the end of the year, order a photo book with the monthly pictures in it. Such a great idea! I will do 2011 and 2012 and 2013 over the next few months and that will make an awesome Christmas present for the Husband!

Another aspect of getting organized is making a cleaning schedule. Our current cleaning schedule is pretty much a day of cleaning; Sunday. I want to avoid this from now on so I am going to spread (heh, spread) the cleaning over the week.

Mondays: putting away dried laundry and dusting
Tuesdays: bathroom and toilet
Wednesday: doing a load of laundry and sorting mail
Thursday: kitchen floor and wiping down cabinets
Friday: putting away dried laundry and organizing the Kid's room and our bedroom
Saturday: general tidying up, unloading the dishwasher and spraying down surfaces
Sunday: vacuuming and kitchen floor and laundry

Let's see if I can stick to it.

So that is my resolution in terms of organizing, on to the next one!

Getting my fitness on

Yeah, yeah, I say this every year. But I feel pretty motivated now and now that I know that soon things will be back to "normal", I can focus more on healthy eating and working out. With the not knowing about my job, the daycare and stress, I lost myself a little bit last year but now I feel like things are falling into place. Watch this space! And now to fill up my water bottle with lemon slices. Smug smug.

Trying something new every month

I'm usually up for different experiences and this year I had a few and it was great! So, to continue on in this trend, I am going to try something new once a month. This month will be yoga, and if I can do it a few times, I might even try hot yoga with a friend in February (loud sigh). If you have any suggestions, let me know. I am open (maybe) to new ideas! I think I might sign the Husband and me up for a cooking class as one of our date nights and maybe another wine tasting night.

Staying up later in the evenings

This might sound super odd but it is one of my resolutions. I usually head to bed around 9 and that is too early. By the time the Kid is in bed and I've made dinner, I only have about 30 minutes of down time and that just isn't enough. I want to spend the time a little more productively and spend more time with the Husband. Here's to trying to stay up until at least 10!

Spending some money on myself and doing some pampering

This year I want to treat myself a little bit more. I don't want to spend too much but I want to definitely try and fit in some beauty treatments. My goal is Sunday night baths and face and hair masks. Doing my nails and using a razor more. I also want to aim to get facials at least every 6 weeks. My favourite day spa offers great facials for 49 euros and I think that is a decent price. I already have one booked for the 25th!

Start a Christmas present fund

I saw this great thing on Pinterest that suggested buying a gift card once a month so that come December, you don't go into debt. So, I'm going to take money out every month and put it in an envelope so that I will have a nice chunk of change by Christmas time.

Getting out more on the weekends

Our weekends are pretty much comprised of grocery store runs, playgound visits and cleaning. This year I want to take longer walks with the Kid and see new things. It will be better for all of us! Cue grumbling from the Husband.

Start a cult

Wait? Did I write that? I meant, start a cut... oh forget it. Just send me money and call me Tovus the All Knowing.

And finally...

Continue being awesome

Obviously my self confidence is juuuust fine. But by being awesome I mean giving back more! And trying to sew again and hosting parties and going out and being a great mom and wife!

Happy New Year to you all! HERE IS TO 2014! A spectacular year ahead!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Key Word Post

A Tova Movie Re-cap: Bram Stoker's Dracula

The Way Some People Find my Blog and a Challenge