10 Years Ago Today

Yup, it is our ten year wedding anniversary. Our big 1-0. You know what we have planned? A trip to a child therapist this afternoon. Am I bitter? NO, I'M NOT BITTER!!! Yes, yes, I am bitter. But we will be going out for an early bird dinner after and the Kid is not invited to this session so in a way, a trip to the child therapist is pretty much like a date. Siiiigh. But with just enough pouting, I will get my Dublin trip as God and the poor waiter this evening are my witnesses. Now sit back, put up your feet and let me tell you about our lovely wedding day, 10 years ago today.

Back in 2003, the Husband and I were smitten. We lived in downtown Toronto on the corner of Elm and McCaul. It was our own little piece of heaven. Evenings after work we would meet up at the Village Idiot and drink beer and talk and talk. Weekend nights were spent at Irish pubs and then we would stop by our local Pizza Pizza (double cheese large with cheddar jalapeno dipping sauce). I'd carry that huge steaming pizza uphill for four blocks (the Husband always tilted it and it drove me curazy "YOU'LL SMOOSH THE CHEESE!"). We'd crawl into our bed and eat pizza and watch Cheaters or Most Haunted and we didn't have a care in the world. That is, until November of 2003. I had noticed that the Husband (at the time, the Boyfriend) was acting distant and of course I jumped to the conclusion that he was going to dump me. A few days passed and we were on a bus heading for a mini-break. He turned to me and told me his new work visa had been rejected. Smart man told me this in public so I wouldn't start climbing walls or making threatening calls to the immigration department. After my 2 hour sob, we talked and we talked. And then we came to the conclusion that we would get married and see what would happen next.

We looked into the policies for staying in Canada and realized it would be pricey and time consuming. So instead we decided to get married in Canada and then the Husband would move back to Vienna and I would follow 3 months later. Christmas flew by and by the middle of January, we were ready to get hitched. I didn't want a huge affair because we couldn't afford it at that time. So I decided that eloping to Niagara Falls would be the cheapest and fastest method. A week before the 24th, we headed to City Hall and got our marriage licence. Then the Husband called my father to ask for my hand in marriage and my dad responded, and I quote "God yes, just take her."

I didn't know many people in Toronto at the time but my work colleagues knew I was about to get married and they threw me a surprise bridal shower at work. I was so incredibly touched. Sidenote: I worked in the buying department for lingerie. These ladies know what to buy for a bridal shower. Anyway, the next day we packed some clothes and took a Greyhound bus to Niagara Falls.

Now lemme explain Ontario in January. It is a polar ice cap. It is 6 feet of snow. It is not pleasant. We got off the bus and asked the ticket guy how far our hotel was. He said we could take a city bus and then walk the rest of the way. So we did that. We walked for 45 minutes in waist high snow and I cried and I cried and I said and I quote "I AM A BRIDE. IT IS MY WEDDING DAY! I SHOULD NOT BE WALKING THROUGH A SIBERIAN WASTELAND!"
Oh look, our wedding day.
We finally made it to our awesome hotel. Forget the name of it but it is a tower right over the Falls and our view was spectacular. Of course we didn't have rings, yet. We lived in a 15 square meter apartment with an industrial wooden spool as a coffee table and milk cartons holding up our TV so yeah, Tiffany's was out. We had some time to kill so we headed to the Niagara Falls tourist area and walked into the first place we saw. They had a lot of bongs in the window. We picked out two mismatched silver rings and we were ready. Our 2 friends were driving from Toronto and we met them at the chapel (a house in the suburbs).

The officiant and his wife were nice enough but dear lord, the decor oh the decor! And the cats. The cats. We sat down at a doily-covered dining room table to pick out our vows (non-religious and the shortest version) and then paid the guy. Our friend videotaped the whole thing and to this day, it is an epic video. I'll invite y'all over to watch it. A cat meowed during our vows. And I kept giggling, but it truly was a special and incredible moment. Forty-five minutes later we were married and piling into a car to head back to the hotel and celebrate. We drank wine with our friends and looked out the window at the Falls. At one point show tunes were sung. Our friends headed back to Toronto and the Husband and I ventured out to look for a late dinner. They were all family oriented restaurants and in our state, we would probably have not been welcomed. So we headed back to the hotel and ordered pizza.
Our beautifully catered wedding meal
The next morning we woke up and I knew I had made an awesome decision marrying the Husband. I was only 22 but I knew a keeper when I saw one. We ordered breakfast (my mother had sent us a gift certificate for the hotel and we used it and 100 dollars will buy A LOT OF BREAKFAST!) and then made our way back to Toronto. Married.

And now ten years have passed. Our rings have been upgraded and I finally got to wear the off-white dress 5 years ago. We have changed and we have brought the Kid into our lives. But yet, I am still married to an amazing and kind and funny and thoughtful man. That's still the same. Oh, and I still love cheese pizza.

Happy Ten Years My Darling Husband. I love you.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Key Word Post

A Tova Movie Re-cap: Bram Stoker's Dracula

The Way Some People Find my Blog and a Challenge