Day 3 - Are We There Yet?

Dear Lord am I hurting today. My whole body aches. Hey guys, just cancel your gym memberships and take my toddler on a field trip - you will be ripped. My arms are the worst and I think it is because I had to schlep that stupid stroller and then grip onto the Kid at the same time. I swear he wanted to swan dive off the escalator at one point. Thank you jeebus for hoodies - good grip.

Today was day 3 and I was in a much better place mentally. We got there at nine and I even chatted with another dad. It was so wierd and it shouldn't have been but obviously I am so used to the old place and the judgey mcjudgy looks that I forgot that there are normal parents out there. The Kid was happy to go in but hung out in the mudroom for about 45 minutes. Finally he edged his way into the classroom and I had a few minutes on my own. A six year old girl came in and asked "What are you doing?" and I said "Texting my husband to pick up detergent". She wasn't impressed. Then she stood there and I felt like I had to initiate the conversation because, I'm like, the adult. For the life of me I couldn't think of what to ask her. Thoughts like "Did you catch Criminal Minds last night?" or "How are feeling about the current civil war in Syria?" seemed a little off. So I stuck to the basics and asked "How old are you?" That set her off and I got a full ten minutes of talking at me and so I texted the Husband and asked him to pick up more wine, as well.

The Kid spent about 15-20 minutes in the classroom off and on and I guess the head of the daycare declared that as decent and sent us on our way after about an hour and 40 minutes in total. This integration might end up taking the full month. Oh please God no. I have run out of topics of interest to discuss with intelligent 6 year olds and I have a limited wardrobe of cute, casual and free-trade based clothing.

Anyway, the only scary thing is that after a month, the daycare can still say that they don't think he is a good fit and that scares the bejeebus out of me. But the good news is that we got to put the Kid's picture up over his cubby. She passed me glue and tape and I went to work, ensuring that his picture does not come off without industrial strength solvent because I am determined the Kid stays for at least 3 years. 3 MORE YEARS!

I am physically exhausted and we are only in the middle of the week. I think it is great that we are taking it slow, getting him used to the place, but I also believe in ripping the band-aid off evenutally. It's interesting to see the Kid in a different element and that he can be loud and obnoxious in any situation - future politician in the making! Hurrah!

So, time for me to get ready for work. Time to put on heels and make up and clothes in dark colours and with seams. I am so very tired.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Key Word Post

A Tova Movie Re-cap: Bram Stoker's Dracula

The Way Some People Find my Blog and a Challenge