First Day at the Daycare

Was I nervous? Yes. Did I feel prepared? Kind of. We got the Kid up and dressed and made our way to the new daycare. On the way I turned to the Husband and asked "Are you nervous?" to which he replied "No." and then there was silence so I then boomed "WELL I AM!". So now he is in trouble. Anyway, we got there and the lovely head of the school was there and the Kid walked in and was totally at ease save for the other kids that looked at him in interest. The Kid of course gave them his best side eye and then discovered educational toys in the corner.

He discovered a couple of pyramid shapes and yelled out "PYRAMIDE!" and that blew me away. But I quickly recovered and coughed and said "He's very good with shapes" to which the Husband turned to me and asked "He is?" Oh, 2 for 0 my man. After about 30 minutes the Husband headed out and for like the first time ever, the Kid had a mini meltdown about this, in front of the other parents and their perfectly behaved and highly educated kids. Awesome. After a few minutes I was able to calm him down and wonders of all wonders, he headed into the classroom without me and started playing a game with one of the providers. Jaw dropped to the floor and I smugly went back to the mudroom. After 10 minutes I heard "MOOMMMMYY" and he made his way back. I was still proud.

He continued to play with the pyramids and I got a little noivous when he started lining them up in front of the head of the school. "He likes lines because he's orderly and stuff", I tried to explain. She wasn't phased and seemed pretty impressed by him. I met a couple of parents who seemed all very trendy and very cool and I thank the lucky stars I didn't wear my Chanel earrings and Fendi scarf this morning. This place ain't for snobs. One thing that struck me is that they actually talked to me. At our old daycare, I know nobody. Except for the hot Portuguese nanny because the Husband mentioned her and when I met her finally I said "SHE'S HOT!" to which he responded "Really? I didn't notice." LIES! ALL LIES!

As the Kid continued to display spectrum-like behaviour, I chatted some more with the head. I mentioned the lunch I was going to make for the kids - tacos - and she was like "We eat vegetarian only" and I was like "So I guess the veal schnitzel's out, then". CRAP! Then I quickly moved on to another topic. Looks like it is vegetarian fajitas, kids. She then mentioned that Tuesdays are outing days and tomorrow is a visit to the Technical Museum. I almost started to cry. Wide open spaces? No problem. Priceless/expensive displays? Fuck me. I am currently digging out our even smaller stroller and testing it out for our voyage tomorrow. The big question is; am I going to free-style it with no stroller and brave public transportation? Or am I going to bring it with me and fold it up and carry it once in awhile while grasping the Kid with my free hand? Regardless, I'm screwed.

We have a month to get the Kid comfortable - I have about 2 weeks on my end. Will it work out? I think so. OH GOD I HOPE SO!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Key Word Post

A Tova Movie Re-cap: Bram Stoker's Dracula

The Way Some People Find my Blog and a Challenge