Summer Weekend Mornings

The sun is shining and it is only 9 and already warm outside. I am having a slight meltdown because every summer dress I put on turns me into a melodramatic teenager, yelling "I'm tooooo faaaat!" I have been eating for 3 when I should be eating for one Olsen twin. Since the race I have convinced myself that I have the metabolism of an Olympic athlete. This is not true. And even though I am carrying on like Phantom of the Opera, hiding in the attic (closet), I still have plans to have pizza tonight.


And I even had pizza last night. Pizza is my kryptonite, my raison d'etre, my I will cut a bitch for a slice of that sweet sweet cheese pie. When my brother was around 7, he loved Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (yeah, I did too) and since he was often more the favoured child, he got to choose restaurants more than I did. He was a healthy eater and rarely chose the Italian pizzeria Santa Maria in the 18th district for dinner that I loved so very very much. So I would whisper in his ear "You know who loves pizza? Michaelangelo, Donatello, Raphael and Leonardo. Maybe Splinter too but he is kind of svelte so he probably orders salad." I somehow thought that by referencing TMNT, my brother would declare that he wanted pizza. I thought wrong. Invariably he would choose another place and then would ask for strawberry ice cream. STRAWBERRY? WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU, BOY?!?Yeah, he must have been adopted. Oh, and funny story. The Kid is called Raphael and while the Husband was the one who came up with that name because he had just seen Raphael's work at the Art History Museum, I totally said yes to the name because of the Ninja Turtles love of pizza. I'm not proud.

Last night was a lovely night. I met my friend at Summerstage at Pizza Riva. We drank prossecco and posted pictures of our food on Facebook because that is what all the cool kids do. The pizza was amazing and we decided to walk about 20 meters to another spot to work off the food. We were going to sit at the Weinpavillion and my friend spied a great table off to the side and moved quickly to claim it for us. The manager of the bar pushed past her yelling "NEIN NEIN NEIN!!! ES IST RESERVIERT!" and slapped a piece of paper down on it. A small group of people, for who the table was "reserved" said "No worries, they can sit there, we will take this table here." but the manager was having none of it and we were practically shooed away. We were not impressed and I now add the Summerstage Weinpavillion on my boycott list. My boycott list includes the Gourmet Spar on Favoriten (now closed... hahahaha feel my wrath...actually, it just moved down the street to a bigger location..and Intersport Eybl... which also closed). I have no problem if the table is reserved, but do not yell at us you jerk. So we went to Morton's and had our first Erdbeer Bowle of the summer! SUMMER HAS BEGUN! And then we had some Aperol spritzers because why not. It was so great to sit outside and chat and watch the sun set. And watch people wear clothes they probably shouldn't. Don't worry, I have added myself to that list.

After the great evening, I decided to take the Ubahn to Karlsplatz and then walk up Wiedner Haupstrasse. It was such a balmy night and I was in a great mood. But then I soon noticed policemen dotted along the street. "That's strange" I thought. Vienna is an incredibly safe city and seeing a lot of policemen late at night is an oddity... I kept walking up the street, getting a bit more excited... assuming that some "shit was bout to go down, yo". Suddenly, just a couple hundred meters ahead, I saw the flashing blue lights and I whipped out my phone, ready to get all war journalist wearing pearls like. Closer and closer the lights came, and then suddenly there were dozens of little white lights and wait, those are people on bikes and rollerblades and oh, it's just a Green Party party late night tour. Well that was disappointing. I thought there was going to be a gun raid or something. I act like I actually would like to cover something dangerous like a drug raid or war but I know that at the first sight of danger I would be like, bye, see you later. And by the sight of danger, I mean no duty free at the airport of the country I would be sent to. I'm not brave.

Today will be a chill day. Heading to Neubaugasse to get raffle tickets soon. And then I have laundry and cleaning to do. And a Cuban festival to crash and then pizza making with a friend. I LOVE SATURDAYS!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Key Word Post

A Tova Movie Re-cap: Bram Stoker's Dracula

The Way Some People Find my Blog and a Challenge