Itty Bitty Stories

I eavesdrop when I am out...a lot. Too much. I don't mean to do it but sometimes it is almost impossible. I like to build stories around strangers and sure, that might be a little creepy but indulge me. I also feel like everyday something happens to me that I JUST HAVE TO SHARE WITH EVERYBODY because I have no shame. Instead of writing a long blog post about just a couple of things tonight, I thought I would write about little itty bitty stories.

The couple on the Ubahn: Yesterday I was on the U1 heading to work. I usually read my Kindle or check my phone for anything that could have possibly happened anywhere in the world while I was offline for 10 minutes. It's a tough job. I was sitting down, just daydreaming when a couple in their 50's sat down across from me. They chatted like a couple who have been together for years. There is an ease and there is a comfortable silence that can be palpable among long-term couples. The woman talked about the weekend and the man nodded his head in response. He mentioned a work project he had to finish and she asked him how that was going. And while there was definitely a sense of the mundane in their interaction, there was also a bit of underlying tension. Like when the Husband forgets to hang up the laundry that has been sitting in the washing machine for 2 hours and you just know there is going to be the smell of mildew and you want to scream and then you can't help but bring up some fight from 2007 about sharing a small salad on your birthday...and, sorry. Anyway. The man got up while the train rolled into his station. He leaned down and it looked like he was about to give her a kiss. She stiffened and he straightened back up. He then briefly touched her face and said good bye and  she said good bye back. He exited the ubahn and looked at her through the window but she had taken out her newspaper and didn't notice his gaze. The train started to move and she looked up and stared at his retreating back, looking forlorn. And I thought to myself "Sometimes timing just sucks." Maybe their problems go deeper but I have this feeling that if she had just looked up when he was looking at her through the window, maybe just maybe, something would have made them smile at each other.

An afternoon at the MQ: The Kid is showing such advancement and step by step, we feel more and more like a "normal" family. On the hottest day of the year, I suggested to the Husband we visit the Museums Quartier which is a large concrete square that gets extra hot in the sun. We walked there with the Kid in the stroller and found a shady bench. I grabbed a couple of beers from Leopold cafe and we unlocked the Kid to see how he would react to the large space. He ran around in complete joy, yelling in his own special language. At one point he saw a woman sitting alone and I guess he thought she was lonely so he ran up to her and gave her a hug. The Husband had to extract the Kid a few times. A little while later he discovered a group of German cyclists and then accidentally placed his hand on one woman's ass. I don't know if he is just oblivious or a genius mini Casanova. Good thing he is cute.

Brickmakers: Last night I went to Brickmakers with a couple of friends and it was a super fun night! I think I consumed several different animals. Veganism died yesterday. But it will be back in a couple of days. Brickmakers' t'is a fabulous place. T'is a place of brisket, ribs and southern fried chicken (the Colonel would have given up on life after trying the southern fried chicken, twas that good). Their macaroni and cheese made me cry happy tears. T'is literally the best mac and cheese I have ever eaten in Vienna... and this has been a quest of many many years of searching. I kind of feel empty now. What else should I search for, now? Sidenote: the server named Maro from Greece is one of the best servers I have ever encountered. She was amazing and she deserves many many tips for dealing with our obnoxious asses last night. Milchreis? Bah!

Bobo's owner: Bobo is the cocker spaniel that lives downstairs. He is one of the "reasons" we fell in love with this apartment. On the day of the viewing, we showed up early, as usual, and found a pug and his owner waiting on the front step. Anton, the pug was sitting and breathing deeply and his owner explained that he was waiting for his best friend, Bobo. When the Kid spied Anton he laughed out loud. It was the first time in a couple of months that we had heard him laugh outloud and for him to even have noticed an animal in the first place. I took it as a sign from the universe. 5 days later we signed the lease. Bobo is the most popular dog in Drasche park. Everybody knows him and greets him and he is incredibly loyal to his owner. She is a nice woman who I believe is from Serbia originally. She spends most of the days in the park and the Husband and I have yet to figure out what she does. We believe she is in her early 50's. Sometimes she has a little girl stay with her who I think might be her granddaughter but I have no idea. The neighbour has always been thin but the last week, I have noticed she seems a lot thinner, more pale and moves a little slower. I hope that she just has the flu but I think there is more to it and it just breaks my heart. Bobo needs you nice woman downstairs, stay strong. I'll keep you in my thoughts.

The two teenagers on the bus: I was on the 13A and minding my own business (ha.ha.ha). Two teenage girls dressed like they were going to Coachella, sat down across from me and started chatting. I braced myself for a face palming conversation.
Girl 1: Did you watch the Kardashians last week? (sigh)
Girl 2: No, I had to study. What happened?
Girl 1: Kylie admitted to lip injections.
Girl 2: Ew! Ouch! How stupid!
Girl 1: I know! Anyway, should we study for our math test tomorrow?
Girl 2: Good idea, let's go to Starbucks.

It took every ounce of willpower to not high five those two girls. The next generation for the most part seems pretty level headed. Had the Kardashians existed back in my pubescent years, my lips would have probably ended up looking like Fugu.

So those are just a few little itty bitty stories. I've been emotional today for no other reason than I am probably hormonal. I am having so many mood swings that the menfolk in the household are walking against the walls and avoiding eye contact with me when I walk by. I'll be fine tomorrow, where's the Midol?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Key Word Post

A Tova Movie Re-cap: Bram Stoker's Dracula

The Way Some People Find my Blog and a Challenge