A Fun Night in Vienna - Again

The warm weather is so mood enhancing. The longer days are making me feel more productive and social and it is awesome! Yesterday I worked an almost 12 hour day and I was exhausted, but because the sun was still out when I left work, I felt energized. I had been invited to an art exhibit opening and that always makes me excited to have the opportunity to pretend to know about art.

I have the classics down, I know what I like and I am definitely a fan of Manet and Monet, Picasso, Raphael, Rubens (almost named the Kid that), Degas, Van Gogh, Kahlo, Schiele, and so on and so forth. We have this painting up in the living room because it is one of my favorite works. And there are visible boobies so the Husband is ok with it too. 

I made my way to UBIK Space which is on the Link Wienzeile. I showed up around 8:30 and greeted the artist. It is a small space so most people were standing out on the sidewalk with drinks. I looked at her great illustrations and was very impressed with the detail. If you are looking for an illustrator, check out her work here. I got a beer and within a minute had struck up a conversation with a very lovely woman. She thought I was 29 so she is a very lovely liar. She even bought me a beer after I called her poor. You're missing the context so don't attack me. I met a few people and just enjoyed being outside surrounded by young'uns, enjoying a cold beer and watching people walk by.

At one point a vintage sportscar roared by and I turned to look at it.

Me: OMG! Look at the that car! AND OMG! There is a huge teddy bear in the passenger seat! SQUEAL! HOW ADORABLE! That rich man must be bringing his kid home a HUGE surprise! I love it!!!
Guy I am screaming at: Um, actually. That guy always drives around with that teddy bear. He's kind of wierd.
Me: Oh. That is wierd. That's disturbing. I don't like that. Ugh.

Kooky sports car driver with a heart of gold turned into crazy man transporting pedo bear. At one point we all sat down on the sidewalk and it was very Bohemian which goes against everything I grew up with. I had some great conversations sitting on the ground on the Linke Wienzeile. It was great. At one point I smelled the Mary Jane and I oh so coolly yelled "SMELLS LIKE COLLEGE!" So yes, I became that person. The soccer mom.

At 10:30 it was time for me to head home. Some people were going to head to RĂ¼diger Hof which I have always wanted to try and the Paris Hilton in my head screamed "GO! GO! YOU CAN SLEEP ON FRIDAY NIGHT!" but the mature adult in me said "GO HOME YOU IDIOT!" and so I did.

It was a really nice night with really nice people and once again, it was just one of those unexpected awesome Vienna nights. In other news, I picked up my ball ticket today and saw that there is a theme! East meets West: a focus on Thailand and China. Well, I had no idea and that throws my ball dress idea completely out the window! I have some lovely Asian broaches from my mother that I now want to incorporate now that I know there is a theme. And just a quick sidenote about cultural appropriation: I will not be wearing chopsticks in my hair. I will not be dressed as an Asian. That is wearing a culture as a costume. This is not good. Paying homage to a culture? This is good. If you are unclear about culture appropriation, Google it! It is veddy veddy important! So, I am very much looking forward to the ball but I saw that it opens at 10. 10?!? That's bedtime! I better stock up on Redbull or I will end up sleeping at the table. I wish you all a fantastic Thursday night!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Key Word Post

A Tova Movie Re-cap: Bram Stoker's Dracula

The Way Some People Find my Blog and a Challenge