A Pretty Perfect Weekend

Happy Father's Day to those dads in Europe. Father's day is an important day because well a) I was raised by an amazing father and well b) the Kid has an amazing father. Whatever the future holds, I can say that the Husband is an amazing father; he is patient, he is kind and he loved our son the minute he screamed at us in the hospital all purple and angry. I could not do as much as I do without the Husband being a great dad and I will always be grateful for that. Dads are just as important as moms but I won't admit that to the Husband... pride... it is all I's got.

This weekend has rocked for so many amazing reasons. And now we are enjoying a summer storm and I love a summer storm. I want to light candles and read a good book but there is a football game on and the Kid keeps blowing out my Yankee candles so no cheesy Lifetime movie scene for me. So let's recap the awesomeness that was this weekend.

Friday: I went to work. Then I left work. My first stop was at Adria on the Donaukanal which has generously offered to give us their glass house to use for free. I have never been before and when I walked in, I internally jumped up and down and clapped. IT IS PERFECT! It has chandeliers and surfboards which is like THEY KNOW ME! My biggest wish is that the weather is slightly cool next Sunday so that we can be inside because it is amazing! I stayed for a few minutes, mentally changed my whole decorating scheme and then headed to Esterhazygasse. There was a street festival and Vienna Würstelstand had a stand set up so I joined them and drank beers and stuck my feet in the small baby pool they had set up. Then I spied a friend coming up the hill and so I had another beer and we chatted. I had to run and meet another friend at Bierometer because he bought me food colouring from Canada and POUTINE sauce which is awesome. Another friend was there as well (so many friends!) and I knocked back some more beer and had to then make my way home, because I am a parent or something.

I made some dinner for the family and texted a friend after seeing her Facebook post and invited her over for some wine which then turned into Coronas. It got late and I walked her through the park and then headed home where I face-planted into bed and slept the sleep of people who think they are 20 but are not.

The next morning I woke up, and was full of terror for the day ahead. Actually, that is not true... I was really excited about heading out to Burgenland with the Kid for a BBQ. Luckily the Husband agreed to come with me after I stopped stepping on his neck. Around 10 I headed to Mariahilferstrassse to drop off a few of my bras for a charity and met a couple of lovely ladies. Then I ran home and picked up sausages and beer and of course the Kid had fallen asleep. So we got him dressed while he was passed out, put him in his stroller and made our way to the Hauptbahnhof where we bumped into a friend and her daughter also en route to the BBQ. Except friend is a crazy person who had decided to bike almost 20 kilometers after the first train ride. Mad props to her. I was a little bit nervous to take the train - it was going to be the first time in over 2 years the Kid would be leaving Vienna. He was asleep until we got onto the train and then he of course woke up. He was upset for about 3 seconds until he realized "Hot damn! I'm on a train!" and he walked up the aisle and took a seat and for 40 minutes he looked out the window in complete excitement. We exited the train to wait for the connecting train only to find out that the connecting train was actually the train we had been on and this is why it is good the Husband came or I would have ended up in Hungary. We got to our final destination, walked for about 20 minutes and then we were there!

A friend of ours has this amazing weekend house in a small village in Burgenland. It is absolutely charming with a huge garden and the Kid immediately whipped off his shoes and spent 3 hours humming and running and trying to blow out the fire in the bbq... from 15 meters away. We drank, we ate, we chatted and then it was time to catch our train home. I was a little worried the Kid would be tired and cranky but no, he loved it. For over an hour he stared out the window, enraptured. Actually, so did I because I spied vineyards and that is my happy place.

We made it home around 8 and the Kid promptly passed out and so did we. Total success and I could not be prouder of the Kid...actually, I am proud of all three of use. A year ago I could not have imagined doing this... I feel free! I feel like we are getting our family life back and it feels amazing! We are making strides... slowly... and we are getting there. This morning I decided to surprise the Husband by making it seem like I left him and took our child. I'm the best. Heh. So I waited until the Kid woke up, got him dressed and then snuck out of the apartment. At 8:30 in the morning it was already hawt out but I pushed him in his stroller to Mariahilferstrasse, hung out by a church and then headed back. The Kid spied a bakery and demanded we go in and I bought him a chocolate croissant and then we were home. The Husband was grateful for being able to sleep in and then he went to his parents' place for a midday drink. I spend that time cleaning and doing laundry and listening to great hits from the 90's where I got all sorts of stupid nostalgic (stay tuned to a 90s post soon). In the afternoon we went to the Peruvian place with the great garden and had some drinks. And then it started to rain.

I've just consumed a huge pizza. Bad, Tova, BAD! And the Kid is about to have a bath and in a few hours I will crawl into bed and read and, wow, an awesome weekend. It will be another absolutely nutso week ahead, putting the finishing touches on the fundraiser and trying not to lose my mind. As much I kvetch, deep down I love the craziness. Happy Sunday!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Key Word Post

A Tova Movie Re-cap: Bram Stoker's Dracula

The Way Some People Find my Blog and a Challenge