Summer Lovin, Lovin Summer

Hot weather is here and it makes me so happy. Well, it does up to a point. When I am on the ubahn or tram and there is no air conditioning, I can get a little bit stabby. Other than that, bring on the heat! I get pretty nostalgic when it gets hot. I like to think back to summers in Sombra back in Canada where my father grew up. My grandparents' house overlooked the St. Claire river and friends lived just down the street. We would go swimming and inner tubing and it was all so very idyllic. Summers always meant popsicles, bbq's and late nights sitting outside and talking. Summers sometimes meant we were moving to a new place but most of all, summers seemed like freedom.

I wasn't a big academic so having no school was THE BEST! I loved waking up to the sound of a lawn being mowed and with the promise that there weren't many plans for the day. And even though I am working, the same feeling seems to surround me like a comfortable blanket when summer rolls around. Since moving to the new apartment, summer seems to be fun again. We are surrounded by green and we can hear the sound of basketballs pounding the pavement well into the evening (this of course will annoy me soon). Windows are tilted and the days are longer and the sound of crickets; yay happy times! Soon we will have the fans running at night which just is the cherry on my childhood memories pie. When the weather turns so so fine like today, all I want to do is watch, eat and do the following. So, if you need a little summer inspiration, feel free to copy my summer fun guide!

Food: Hot dogs and burgers and corn on the cob and watermelon. I think I might just have to pick myself up some hot dogs tonight and fire up the stove. Even though I adore our apartment, I do miss having a balcony. We had an awesome electric grill from my parents in the old place. One day we shall have a terrace and I will get a barbeque and all will be right in the world. Until then, I have a grill pan so I can make my hot dogs. And if I need some smoke, I will just light a bunch of candles and blow them out. I wonder if Yankee Candle has a BBQ scent.

Drink: This is the time for cocktails! I love anything with pink vodka and lemonade. Or anything with an umbrella. And even though I am primarily a red wine fan, I switch to white when it is hot out. On Saturday I went to the Aloha Bar at Museumsquartier (by the way, really really lovely people who run the stand: they were amazing with the Kid) and tried the Viktor which is a white wine spritzer with mint and lime. Oh yes I did. I want to come up with a new drink this summer. I already have a name: Conchita Thirst. Yeah, it is awesome. I know.

Smells: Coconut sunscreeen, chlorine and bbq are the triumvirate of summer smells. Oh and maybe Sun In that I used to spray into my hair until it was crunchy and it would ultimately turn my hair a golden hamster orange.. never looked like those women on the box. NEVER.

Music: Anything from the 90's that is NOT the Cranberries, the Counting Crows or Alanis (that is Fall and Winter music). I like to look up summer playlists on the Interwebs and of course, listen to Salsa and Samba and anything that sounds fun and dancey. Makes me feel like I can actually dance. I used to think I could dance but I think that was just college and alcohol playing a trick on me.

Movies: So many great summer movies out there that I like to watch every year. My ultimate list is: French Kiss (adore this film), Woman on Top, Fever Pitch (because baseball is summer), 50 First Dates (I cry every.single.time), Point Break, Road House, Dirty Dancing (the holy trinity of Patrick Swayze films), Steel Magnolias, Only You, The Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood, Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil, Mystic Pizza, Under the Tuscan Sun and Undercover Blues. What? I have eclectic tastes?

So that is my summer guide to getting your summer on. I have also created a Summer of 2015 bucket list that I hope to complete by the end of August. I fully intend to make this summer awesome! Here it is:
- Summer Stage a couple of times
- Rathausplatz film festival a couple of times
- Picnic in the Prater
- Hermann Strandbar
- Sand in the city
- Attend a couple of bbq's
- Go swimming (this might not happen, depends if I find a full body swimsuit)
- Stay up late to watch a summer storm
- Walk through the vineyards
- Get caught in a rainstorm (apparently I want to live in a Nicholas Sparks novel)
- Take a summer holiday
- Take a boat... any old boat will do
- Finish my darn book (that's more a goal, but if I can do that through summer storms, I will kill two birds with one stone).

Happy beginning of the summer season! What brings out the summer in you?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Key Word Post

A Tova Movie Re-cap: Bram Stoker's Dracula

The Way Some People Find my Blog and a Challenge