An Awesome Night!

Wow! That was an epic Halloween party! So many people, so many awesome costumes and just an awesome time! I decided to do a head count the next morning and we had an epic 43 people. Love our apartment and love that we can fit so many people into it. I remember 2 years ago, in our old place, we had 35 guests and it was a tight fit. like, take out a few books to fit another person in. I remember saying to myself "This is the last time we will be having a Halloween party in this apartment." A few months later we ended up looking at a new apartment and I remember one of the first things I thought was "imagine the epic Halloween parties here!" That did not impress the Husband but I am persuasive.


The morning of the party started out a little rocky. I woke feeling congested and achey and I was PISSED! There was no way I was going to be sick for this party. Actually, had I been sick, I would have still thrown it. I am nothing if not determined. I remember battling bronchitis during the Kid's second birthday. I was a Dayquil-high hot mess but by George did the Kid get his pirate party. To be honest, I can't remember a damn thing from that day except that I did lose my voice at the end so the Kid got a "Happy Birthday" song from his mother, Al Pacino.


Because of the symposium the day before, I had to do most of the shopping on Friday. I thanked Thursday morning Tova for making the spinach dip, the pizzas and the cupcakes the day before and after I downed some Vitamin C, I headed to Spar to get some of the groceries. I also spent the morning decorating the Kid's room and starting the crockpot fajitas. I also frosted the cupcakes and put on Beetlejuice, because tradition. I cooked and cleaned and mainlined Dayquil, determined to not succumb to a cold. The Husband was at work so I had to kick my own ass to get the food part done before he came home so I could give him a list of chores. His main chores were getting ice - the first place had none and told him they were expecting a delivery of ice next week. WHAT?!?! So he went to another place and luckily they supplied the frozen water. Next business plan? Ice delivery in Vienna. I will be a millionaire. The Husband was also in charge of getting the alcohol, because, heavy. I have to say that this was the most well run operation we have experienced. I guess after dozens of parties, we have figured out our roles and there was absolutely no snapping or anger which usually happens ahead of parties. I think I have gotten my planning down so well that this has become second nature. Also, my new thing to do is to make sure all the food is on the table when the party starts. I have spent too many parties, fighting with my oven, schwitzing and almost setting my polyester costume on fire that it was time to stop. By 8, guests started to arrive and it was time to PARTY!

And oh my were the costumes fantastic! I mean, out of this world! I loved it all so much! I kept saying "THIS IS SUCH A GREAT PARTY!!" 43 people mulled around, drinking the drinks and eating and laughing. Gah! This is why I do what I do and I end up loving it! Around 10 it was time to vote for best male, best female and best couple. Costumes included: Day of the Dead (3 people rocked this!), a pig and kosher butcher (represent Judaism, yo!), Morticia, a skeleton, Freddy Mercury, Daisy Duke, a (k)nightmare, and so many more!!! I love the effort that everybody put into their costumes! After tallying the votes (I need to look into something electronic for next year, counting 43 ballots is not easy after some beer, yo) it was time for the trophies. Over the sea of people, I announced the winners. And here you go:

This makes me so happy!! On the left was the game Operation (she sewed the whole thing which is AMAZING! And she even attached tongs so you could "play"), Jack and Sally Skellington and not sure what he was on the right but I guess the ladies like a man in a kilt.

And some more pictures!




I wish I had taken more pictures and a big thank you to S.D. for the pictures of the winners and her and her husband! I hope to get some more uploaded in the next few days. And if you have pictures, send them my way if you want them on the blog! Gah! So much fun!

I also had a request for the spinach dip I make every year. Always a crowd pleaser.

Spinach dip:
Bag of frozen spinach leaves
1 cup veggie broth
Half a cup white wine
Nutmeg
Salt and pepper
1-2 cups grated cheese (I use 4 cheese)
1 cup of sour cream
3 crushed garlic cloves
A tsp of butter

Melt butter in frying pan, add garlic and frozen spinach. Add broth and wine and spices. Simmer until spinach is melted. Lower heat and add sour cream and half the cheese. Place in baking dish, top with the remaining cheese and then bake in the oven until the top is golden brown. Enjoy!

By 2, the majority of guests had headed home. There were still about 10 people hanging out in the kitchen and then I did a random tasting of Drip maple syrup because why not? And then at 3 in the morning, it was time to kick people out. I actually have no problem telling people to go home. I decided a few years ago, after one party that wouldn't seem to stop, that if I am tired, it's time to shut it down and everybody does or at least should understand that when the host says, time to go, you go. Never had a problem since. And yet, I still have a problem speaking up at restaurants when they get my order wrong. Analyze that!

It was a fantastic party and the clean up was actually not that bad. The Husband kept looking at the 4 small bags of garbage in confusion. Did somebody from the party throw out some garbage on their way out? Did we just host the most sustainable Halloween party ever? Awesome! And the bottle recycling was pretty epic. Usually the day after the party, I take the decorations down but we are having a mini family Halloween get together next Saturday so the death stays. Come November 1st, we will be back to normal. Well, at least for four weeks and then bring on Chrismakkuh! I also want to thank the Husband for  letting me throw this insane party year after year!

I wish you all an awesome Sunday!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Key Word Post

A Tova Movie Re-cap: Bram Stoker's Dracula

The Way Some People Find my Blog and a Challenge