A Sick Kid, The Vienna Ball of Sciences and The Students

Happy Friday! Yay! Friday! Tonight I am going to the Staatsoper to watch the Tempest with a couple of friends. I have been awesomely invited to join and watch my friend's husband perform in it and I am so so looking forward to getting a little culture. I think I am also excited about dressing up. The funny thing about going to an opera and watching someone you know perform on stage, is the sudden change in tension. Watching people you don't know: "Good luck, buddy. Don't know you but I'm here for you."  and then watching someone you do know: "OMG! FOR THE LOVE OF GOD! GET OFF THAT LADDER!!" or "Hey, what's in the bottle? Is that real scotch?" Everything changes and suddenly it is like watching the Super Bowl.

So I can't wait for that! In other news, the Kid is sick AGAIN! His daycare is like the Hot Zone. Next week I am sending him in a Hazmat suit. He started coughing on Wednesday but otherwise he was just fine. Yesterday we sent him and at 11, he had fallen asleep at the Kindergarten. The Nanny was finally able to bring him home around 1:30 where he spent most of the afternoon running around and coughing. When I got home, he was doing alright but was definitely sick. I gave him some Mexalen which he promptly vomited all over me. Yay! Keeping it real, y'all!

He had a low grade fever and we ended up letting him sleep in our bed. Oh wait, let me fix that. I slept in our bed with him while the Husband enjoyed a nice and quiet night on the sofa. I, on the other hand, was woken up by Wheezy McWheezy of the McWheezerton Clan every 30 minutes. This morning he is awake and coughing again and I feel so bad for my little man. The Husband is staying home with him today while I go to work and the Mother in Law is coming by in the afternoon to give the Husband a break. Hopefully by next week he will be back to his old self. The only silver lining is that it is almost the weekend so he should have plenty of time to get better.

In other news, I had my debut! That's right! Like a chubby debutante, my introduction to Vienna (a cross section of) happened. A while ago, I was asked to help out with the Vienna Ball of Sciences. When initially asked, I think I said something like "You know that I can't science and stuff, right?" And I was assured that that wasn't necessary so I said "YES!" Oliver Lehmann is the organizer of the now annual Wiener Ball der Wissenschaften (Vienna Ball of Sciences) that is held at the Rathaus and yesterday he posted an incredibly flattering introduction of yours truly. You can see it here http://www.wissenschaftsball.at/new-social-media-correspondent/ . Blushing.

I knew it was coming but I didn't know it would happen yesterday and I spent most of the afternoon alternating modesty and squeals. Part of me is shocked to have this coverage, the other part of me wonders if I should have worn a turtleneck. I am also grateful that he wrote my intro because in the past when I have been asked for a little bio and I usually write stuff like "Tova enjoys cheese. She also enjoys reality TV. She also enjoys stuff. She is the funny one, not the pretty one like her sister." Sigh. So I am pretty excited to get started! Don't mess this up, Tova.

And the final story because I have to go put on my spackle and head to a meeting with our therapist and our psychology student and then head to work: Last night when we were eating dinner. The door bell rang and I got up, ready to pepper spray whoever disturbed our meal. I opened the door and two pretty blonde students were there. The Husband surprisingly came to the door quite quickly too. They told us that on Friday they are having a party and they live right upstairs so they wanted to warn us. I thought that was REALLY SWEET so I forced them into our apartment to look at the Halloween decorations. I also invited them to our party next Friday so we will see. They were incredibly nice and probably a little weirded out by the soccer mom forcing them to admire her handiwork. That's right my pretties, praise me.

I wish you all a fabulous Friday!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Key Word Post

A Tova Movie Re-cap: Bram Stoker's Dracula

The Way Some People Find my Blog and a Challenge