Throwback Thursdays: Films about Witches

Since we are still in October and I need to and have to get in the Halloween spirit, I thought I would write about 3 films I absolutely adored; one from my child hood and two from my teenage years. Yes, I loved all things witchy. Kind of still do. And so, join me once again for my half ass reviews on films from my past.

Teen Witch

Oh man did I love this film. I loved this film because it encompassed everything an 80s film should offer; an unpopular kid, an obnoxious sibling, bedrooms that should belong to an 8 year old and not a 16 year old, school dances and guys with thick and feathered hair. The story is about a nerdy unpopular girl named Louise Parker who has to, like, bike to school... ew. All Louise wants is to be popular and make out with the cutest guy at school. What Louise doesn't know is that she is a witch. A very very powerful witch stuck in suburbia. One night she stumbles upon a fortune teller's house and her fate is sealed. Suddenly she is all powerful and Louise is a nerd no mo. Oh she is so very popular. But of course, as we all know, be careful what you wish for.

I loved this film for so many reasons;

Random dancing by cheerleaders in the locker room. This scene just made no sense whatsoever.

We are all so very high.

Crazy fashion.
Big hair means you are hot

The worst white girl rap that has ever been rapped, ever. I still cringe. TOP THAT!
Just kill yourself, like now.

And the belief that, when you are popular, people skip after you and wear pastels.
Who loves Lacoste?! We do!

Let me just say, that high school was a huge disappointment. There was no skipping. At all. Ah Teen Witch, you totally rocked. Fun fact: The actress in this film is Robin Lively and believe it or not, she is the older sister of Blake Lively from Gossip Girl. I'd like to take a minute right here and applaud the Lively's for producing two teen idols in two different centuries. Slow clap.


Witches of Eastwick

My word! I watched this when I was 16 and I probably shouldn't have. There was a lot of raunchiness and Jack Nicholson gives me the heebie jeebies. The cast was absolutely incredible; Cher, Susan Sarandon and Michelle Pfeiffer. Incredible.

The story is: small town, the Devil moves in and takes on 3 concubines who are best friends. I should probably watch this film again but I truly loved it back in the day and I wonder if I would still like it. One thing's for sure, I can't eat cherries. That scene! Oh that scene! And here are some stills from this totally wierd film. Maybe I don't want to watch this again.

This is what happens when you don't call within 3 days

The Devil was a happy man for a while

I just want to know why Michelle Pfeiffer had to dress like an early 90s hip hop star. This still bugs me.


The Craft

You cannot be a teenager from the 90s and not know this film. This was like Clueless for people who liked dark stuff. Knee highs, plaid skirts and the triumvirate of Robin Tunney, Neve Campbell and Faruza Balk. New girl gets in with the witchy crowd. She's the most powerful of all but when they get together, they are all powerful. But unfortunately they use their power for evil (kind of) instead of good and all sorts of crap happens. Like really bad stuff. I watched this over and over at a friend's house at sleepovers. We adored this film and then we would do Ouija and scare the crap out of ourselves. It truly is one of my favourite teenage memories. Here are some stills from the film. Admit it, you loved this film too. And yes, I had the soundtrack.
If Hot Topic existed in Moscow, this would have been my uniform


There is just so much 90s fashion in this shot. 

Totally did this all the time. Light as a feather, stiff as a board. It never worked.

I never have and never will understand the attraction to Skeet Ulrich. Blech. He was a walking grease pit.

And so I wish you a happy Thursday! May your day be filled with thoughts of all things witchy or just good thoughts to get through your day at work or at home with kids or whatever you may be doing today!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Key Word Post

A Tova Movie Re-cap: Bram Stoker's Dracula

The Way Some People Find my Blog and a Challenge