The Day After

What a party! It was such a blast and I truly enjoyed myself. Every year, on the morning of the party, I kind of have doubts. I think to myself "why do I do this?" and then, at the end of the evening, I sit on the sofa in post-party malaise and say to myself "I know why I do this". Halloween is one of my favourite holidays besides Jewish Christmas. Halloween is special for kids but I truly believe that it can be special for adults, too. One time a year we can dress up and be whoever we want to be. We can have fun and be a kid again. As adults, we have so much daily stress and so many fears; will our kids be o.k., will we lose our jobs, financial difficulties, high waisted panties... so I think it is pretty awesome that at this time of the year, we can fear something differentL; goblins, ghosts, witches. If just one time of the year we can let go of everything that consumes us negatively in our daily lives, then I say, sign me up! I know why I do this Halloween party every year... to have fun. And I do.

As I mentioned before, this party was a lot of fun. We had 29 people in all and while it was a tight fit, it was still manageable. I also was a lot more relaxed this year because I have gotten food preparation down to a science. This year I did not sweat, swear or burn myself. It was perfect. I pat myself on the back. Stay tuned for my righteous post about hosting large parties in the next couple of days. Oh, will I be pompous.
Suck it Martha, I don't even have staff.
The costumes were also great this year. We had a flapper, pirates, a tea party fan, an Austrian Dorothy, characters from Game of Thrones (the ladies were a little disappointed when the one half put on a shirt and took off his wig a couple of hours after winning the best couple award. Cough, cough) 50 Shades of Grey, Salome, guy in an electric chair, jailed guy, Medusa, spider woman, large photo strip of selfies, Toddler and Tiaras contestant (loved this so much!), Gomez and Morticia, Run away bride, Steven Seagull, ghostbusters and please don't hate me if I forgot some people. I am veddy veddy tired.
The scene of where many bottles of wines lost their lives. They say that if you listen very carefully, you can hear the ghosts of Pinot Grigio and Cabernet

Voodoo altar by night, Kid's change table by day.

The party finally ended around 2:15 and thanks to daylight savings time, we had an extra hour to sleep. I woke up at 7 because I get twitchy when I know there is so much to do in such limited time. I thank the deities that I did not imbibe too much. I let the Husband sleep in, not because I am nice but because I am much more productive when I am alone and I don't have to answer his questions every.three.minutes. "Where does this go?" or "Should we keep this?" or "What's this?" or "Do you want this?" GAH! I started with the leftovers and the kitchen and then moved on to taking down the decorations. It took 7 hours to get the place back to normal. I am now officially exhausted.

Byeeee decorations! Until next October! You did well this year! 

Luckily I was able to take a nap and then spent the rest of the afternoon doing normal Sunday cleaning and laundry and now I feel like I can start my week. The Husband picked up the Kid and the Kid seemed pretty pleased that the place was back to normal, as well. And I think he's happy that the pirate rug is gone. He laid down and petted the shag rug we usually have. I'm not intuitive but I think that was his way to say "welcome back, normalcy".  And yes, welcome back normalcy. Now that the party is over and done with (and I still have actual Halloween to look forward too), I feel much more relaxed and now more focused. The next few weeks will involve me getting my fitness back, much cleaner eating and getting the Kid issues all sorted out. And of course, find out if I have a job come November. When I say it has been a tough month, I ain't lying. But now I feel invincible, fatter, but invincible!
Welcome back light colours. You were missed!

Sweet dreams everybody! Thank you to everyone who came and for all the effort you put into your costumes. It is truly a special event and it wouldn't be the same without a) the Husband's continuous support and iron patience and b) the amazing guests who make it a real party. Party on, Wayne!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Key Word Post

A Tova Movie Re-cap: Bram Stoker's Dracula

The Way Some People Find my Blog and a Challenge