Simplifying My Life

You might be surprised but I like to do a lot of things in a short period of time. I often push myself to the extreme and then get sick and vow to take things easy. Then I forget about my vow and throw myself into another crazy project and get sick again. I truly thought that January was going to be madness because of the integration, and I was right, but February seems to be even more nutso. Every weekend we have something planned and this Saturday is the Kid's third bday partay. I decided on a Mardi Gras theme because I like Mardi Gras and dream of going to New Orleans one day and the Kid only cares if there is cake. Oh, there will be cake. I figure next year he will have an executive producer role in this pary planning business but for now, gris gris, bitches.

I wanted to create a Mardi Gras feeling in the apartment and I looked into recreating wrought iron balconies out of papier mache but with stuff like a day job getting in the way, alas, it was not meant to be. I will be putting up green and purple streamers, laying down a purple table cloth, lighting purple candles, hanging up beads and finally finding a purpose for a couple of masks we bought in Venice years ago. I had a vision of cutting out dozens of gold foil fleur de lis and I cut some out last night but they look like sex toys and as liberal-minded as I may be, there is no way I can hang up gold foil sex toy silhouettes at my son's birthday party. Go ahead, judge me.
Some glue and popsicle sticks... totally could have recreated this
The stressed out 32 year old Tova would start all over again and make more fleur de lis late into the night, but the wiser more mature 33 year old Tova says, f#ck it, there will be cake. We are expecting 2 other toddlers and a handful of adults and I will most likely make too much food but that is how I roll. Unfortunately my time is limited until then. I have to scrub down the apartment, decorate, make a cake, prep the food and figure out which cocktail to make. Tomorrow, Valentine's Day, we have another session with the child therapist and oh joy, shoot me now. Getting real tired of this but hopefully we are staring down the finish line. We will get home around 6:30 and I will have to make the cake and clean up and most likely eat McDonalds. And they say romance is dead.

But since I am trying to simplify my life, I will be using cake mix for the cake, making dishes that are easy to assemble and doing a mediocre job at decorating. We will see how much I hate myself on Saturday. And since I am simplifying my life, I am "designing" my ball gown. The dress arrived yesterday and I think I am pretty happy with it as a base. I will add trim on Sunday and throughout the week and please keep your fingers crossed that it will be fabulous. Merci. Happy Thursday!

A ball dress out of jersey? I am intrigued. Or disgusted.



Comments

  1. I think that Karl has only one expression, so it really could be elation or disgust. It's that or his carefully crafted paper mache head is going to fall out of that collar and he's just staring at the camera with fear in his heart. Either way, I'd like to see photos of the transformation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha! I will be definitely showing pictures!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Key Word Post

A Tova Movie Re-cap: Bram Stoker's Dracula

The Way Some People Find my Blog and a Challenge