Party Prep for the Kid

Saturday morning. All is quiet. I am drinking my cup of joe and getting ready to go and meet my friend for our early morning Saturday walk. I am slightly twitchy because I know that I have so much to still do for the party this afternoon. We have to clean and put away crap and decorate and on and on and on. Last night I did some food prep, made an onion pie and made the cake... A "4-tiered" cake. We'll get to that later.

I stayed up way later than I had planned to last night but at least I abstained from the wine. At one point I had sprinkles sticking to my socks and I started making up lyrics to a Paul Simon song. She's Got Sprinkles on the Soles of her Socks. I don't know if it was the exhaustion or too much cake batter but I thought I was brilliant...

Sigh... So anyway, today is the day of the party and as always, I have lists and timetables that keep me focused and on track. Here is a not-so detailed plan of the next few hours. The original version is written out on a pink heart-shaped post-it note because that's how Mommy rolls.

6:30-7:45 walk with friend
7:45-8:30 unload dishwasher and clean kitchen
8:30-9:15 grocery shopping
9:15-10:00 more food prep involving swearing and plugging in a crockpot
10:00-10:30 shower and clean shower while showering
10:30-11:30 decorate and stop the Kid from kamikazeing off the ladder
11:30-12:00 vacuum, clean
12:00-2:00 naptime for the Kid and the Husband, while I put in curlers and do my make up and wonder if I forgot some stupid important detail while I cook
2:00-2:30 freak out that I forgot some stupid important detail
2:30-3:00 find some cajun music online and work on my Come on in! No, I barely spent any time getting this party together and aren't I just a modest and amazing mother facial expression in the mirror.
3:00 PARTY TIME!!!

The menu for today is:

Caprese salad
Stuffing (kids love stuffing. Who am I kidding? I LOVE STUFFING!)
Onion pie
Creamy cajun chicken and pasta
Mushroom and rice casserole
Cheese pizza (kids love cheese pizza. Who am I kidding? I LOVE CHEESE PIZZA!!)

Cake

Now, lemme quickly talk about the cake before I head out. I am not a baker. I hate baking with the passion of a thousand suns. But, I got it into my small little head that mah baby deserves a cake baked lovingly by his wine swilling mother. And not just a sheet cake with a Hot Wheels car planted firmly into frosting. Oh no, I will make it a tiered cake. Stupid Bridget. So I spent last night baking a cake in a spring form pan, in a small round casserole dish, in a ramekin and in a smaller ramekin than the ramekin previously mentioned. I kind of love the word "ramekin". Then I layered them each on top of one another. Then I schmeared blue frosting over all the layers and stepped back. Oh dear lord, what had I done? It made me think of the Morlocks from the original Time Machine movie... if the Morlocks drank too much coffee one morning and lost indoor plumbing.
Anybody seen my Time magazine? I have to hit the can.
So I grabbed a bottle of sprinkles and covered the smurf-like lab mistake because bitches love sprinkles. Meh, happy birthday Kid. Enjoy your mother's failure at cake baking. The pain, it cuts deep.

If you ever wanted to see personal shame in cake form... you're welcome

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Key Word Post

A Tova Movie Re-cap: Bram Stoker's Dracula

The Way Some People Find my Blog and a Challenge