Beating the Winter Blues

Oh Sweet Mother of Mary! Christmas is like 4 weeks away. I have gotten the majority of my shopping done but there is still some to do and I need to send out my Christmas letters - just waiting for the Husband to be back at work so he can print them out (Monday, come on Monday!). He also needs to be able to access his emails so he can order the bazillion things I want for Christmas. BAZILLION THINGS! So anyway, we are at the end of November and we are already getting snow flurries.

I did not move to Central Europe for snow before Christmas. Weather-wise, Vienna ain't too bad... Well, except for the sunless winters. Every November, the city turns grey and there is rarely a sunny day. It gets light at 7 a.m. and gets dark at 4:30 p.m. and I know, I know, the Norwegians are all like "Bitch, please." But still, it is a very dark and miserable time. I kind of imagine the sun having a French accent and looking down at us at the end of October and taking a long, strong drag of its Gauloises cigarette and saying "Fuck you. I go. I go now. Until April!" So, to battle the winter blues and stop all homicidal urges, here are some tips to beat the winter blues.

Tip 1: Vitamin B - a good friend of mine suggested this a few years ago. She calls them her happy pills. I always remember this at the beginning of winter but then I forget and then I get unhappy. So I remembered this year and bought some of the good stuff and I will "b" (get it?) a much happier person this winter. Another dear friend also just started taking them and I am grateful that she warned me that your pee turns neon. I almost had a heart attack last night. I guess the vitamin B I took the last few years wasn't nearly as potent or else I would have noticed that it looked like I ingested a highlighter. Anyway, start taking vitamin B and you will feel a lot better this winter.

Tip 2: Blue light- My mother told me about this handy little gadget over the weekend. I think she heard it from Oprah. Phillips makes this and apparently the Mayo clinic thinks it is incredible and it also fights acne. Well, wow. Take my money! In all seriousness, this gadget is supposed to be a wonderful anti-depressant and if the price was slightly lower, I so would be purchasing one of these babies. This is a picture of it. If you want details, go Google. I don't get paid for this.


Tip 3: Dress warmly and get outside as much as possible: As soon as the thermometer dips, I want to go into hibernation and drink mugs of warm stuff and look like this.

But, this year, I am going to try and get out more. And if I am going to enjoy myself, I better dress sensibly. The Danish have a saying, "There is no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing." Well, hell, that makes sense. I guess I'll be looking like this until April. Sexy.


Stay sane this winter... At least Christmas is soon and the Christmas markets are open and they are selling hot alcohol on many street corners... Look at that, my mood is better already!

Comments

  1. I have the light lamp - have been using it for three years and went for it after having had the larger white energy light for the two-three years before that. Worth every cent - keeps me functioning on business trips where I barely get to see daylight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is such a great tip! I've heard people rave about those lights! Thank you for reminding me!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Key Word Post

A Tova Movie Re-cap: Bram Stoker's Dracula

The Way Some People Find my Blog and a Challenge