Project of the Week - The Holder of Crap in the Foyer

So like I said, I am now doing a project a week to make the apartment look amazing. We have lived here for just over a year and I still get a thrill coming home everyday. However, there is always one, I feel like I have let the "crap" build up slowly and it has become almost too overwhelming. After a fun conversation with a friend today about home improvements, I realized that now is the time to start doing little changes. I figure if I tackle one small thing a week, it won't seem so overwhelming and I won't end up screaming "I WANT TO BE A MINIMALIST!!!" because that so ain't me.

The first thing I wanted to tackle was the chest in our foyer. We have a huge entryway and its sole purpose seems to be collector of shoes and paperwork... especially this one Kenyan chest we have. That was my project today. After work, I went to the store Nana Nanu with the purpose of picking up some storage boxes. And I had 2 in my hand as I approached the cash and then my eyes were drawn to something else. There on a display were 2 round hat box-like boxes in a French style. I fell in love. I dropped the storage boxes like a bad glass of Chardonnay. Oh who I am kidding, I would just add sparkling water. Anyway, I picked up the boxes that screamed PROVENCE at me plus a large hollow book for bills and a small hollow book for keys in the same style.

I ran home, kissed the Kid and thanked the Nanny and got to work immediately. I had 30 minutes until the Husband got home and I threw myself into the task. This is the before.
Behold! A mountain of crap!

This is the after.

I love it!!! The boxes hold hats and gloves. The books hold keys and bills (and once I get a proper filing system going, this box will be emptied weekly) and the basket is for my purse and the Kid's backpack.

The Husband is happy with it too which is a plus. I plan to tackle the window ledge in the foyer which currently is home to 10 pairs of sunglasses, a vase filled with coins, old magazines, candles and probably the cloth of Turin. My goal with this project is not to buy too many more things to make the place organized but rather get rid of clutter and use stuff I already have. I spent 56 euros on all of the boxes today and I want to give myself a limit of 100 euros per room. That means I have 44 euros left for the foyer. I still have to work out a better shoe system as well so this should be a fun challenge. I rate this first project as a breeze and I love the result!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Key Word Post

A Tova Movie Re-cap: Bram Stoker's Dracula

The Way Some People Find my Blog and a Challenge