Barthelona Day One

Hola! Wow! What a town! Yesterday was my first and full day in the lovely town of Barcelona. Today is my second and last day here. Sad face. But we are heading to a small village that boasts a great beach and I am super excited to get into that sea! I also really can't believe how incredibly lucky I am to have the chance to see this amazing place and to have some quality time with one of my dearest friends (22 years of friendship and counting). Good friendships are important, y'all.

Yesterday morning I awoke at 4 and putzed around in a half daze, getting ready. The taxi was supposed to arrive at 5:00 but at 4:45, I heard a small honk and that annoyed me. Listen, buddy, I will take my sweet ass time because I ordered a taxi for 5. And then I caved because I really needed a taxi to get to the airport. I said goodbye to the still sleeping Kid and good bye to the sleepy Husband and made my way downstairs. I spied a large white van and wondered if it would move so that my taxi limo would have space. When I walked out of the doors, a man in a tie and shirt greeted me and took my suitcase... and walked towards the van.

"Sorry that this isn't the Mercedes. I hope that that is alright?" he asked as he loaded my suitcase in the back.
I answered "Not a problem!" No! NOOO! I want the Mercedes!! I don't want to show up at the airport in the pedo-van! NOOO! I thought to myself. Yes, I am a brat.


He opened the side van door and I climbed in. Just as I took a seat a voice from the front greeted me. I would be lying if I didn't say I jumped in absolute fear. A dark pedo-van and then a sudden unexpected voice? This is the start of a Criminal Minds episode. Turns out the owner of the voice was the driver's girlfriend... or at least I think so. Maybe their original plan was to kidnap me but they noticed that I am a little hefty and ergo harder to sell. We took off and 20 minutes later I was checking my bag in. The Vienna airport is incredibly efficient and this is why I take Austrian Airlines. Again, I am brat.

Our flight took off on time and we landed one minute late in Barcelona. Terrible. I looked out the plane window and noticed there was a slight rain and I was a little worried I would be cold. Yeah, no. As I walked down the steps to the waiting buses, I was definitely not cold. I probably grew some form of fungus because my word the humidity! Little sidenote here: every time I walk down plane steps, I definitely feel like I am in one those Drei Wetter Taff commercials (Europeans, you know what I am talking about).

We were shuttled to the terminal and I made my way to baggage claim. And I waited, and waited, and waited. I wasn't alone waiting. Oh no, everybody else was waiting too. And we waited for an HOUR! Austrians and patience? Not a thing. Same goes for me. You could easily identify the Austrians in the crowd (and me) because we were all looking at our watches in the international body language symbol of "WHY DA HELL IS THIS TAKING SO LONG!" It's a simple move but the key is adding on additional moves. So you start off with looking at your watch. Then you bring the watch closer to your face, almost in disbelief. You can either then look around in annoyance or tap your foot or my favourite is the deep sigh and blowing out a puff of frustrated air out the side of you mouth (extra points if this air blows up your bangs). It may not speed up things but it definitely makes you feel better, knowing that you have passively aggressively expressed your annoyance at things you cannot control.

Finally my little grey bag appeared and I dashed for the exits. I was able to get a taxi immediately and off we went. I soon spied palm trees which is my happy tree. We passed commercial buildings and a couple of shopping centers and then passed the large shipping harbour. On my left was the main cemetary which is spectacular: built into a wall of a large hill. Finally I was in the neighbourhood Poble Sec. I rang the bell and took the small elevator up to see my friend. The funniest part was that her mother was there when I arrived. It felt like being a kid again. She was heading to the airport shortly but it was great to see her again! I quickly got changed because I was worried the fungus had colonized and then we headed out into humid Barcelona.

It truly is a spectacular city. I was here with my mother back in the late 90's and while I recognized some things, like the Gaudi buildings, a lot of it was brand new (New to me. The city is not brand new). I had no idea how large Barcelona is! We made our way through the Gothic part and it was BEAUTIFUL! I took pictures badly and then we decided to stop for lunch. We sat inside the coolest little bar called La Alcoba Azul and I made a very concerted effort to give myself the cholesterol. THE FOOD WAS AMAZING! I paired my heart attack tapas with some rose and my friend and I chatted and then I cried a little because it has been a difficult couple of years and then I ordered more rose. We finished up our food and headed back out into the heat. The sun had come out and some of the humidity had eased up. We stopped for some gelato: cheesecake and tiramisu flavours, thank you very much, sat on a bench and watched people go by. It was a wonderful afternoon and I was able to buy the Husband a shirt, a pair of awesome shoes for myself, a dress, a Star of David bracelet (we were in the old Jewish section, the guilt) and a necklace. As a last stop of the tour, my friend brought me to the beach. I got tears in my eyes because I forgot how much I had missed the sea. It is a restorative thing and it has been over two years since I have seen any old sea so it was great to see the sea. See what I did there? Ha.

We headed back home where we had a little siesta (I looked up more about the Duggar scandal because that is CRAZY!) and then at 8 we headed out into the area of Poble Sec. There is a large pedestrian street filled with bars, wine cellars, tapas places and places serving pinchas. I love the idea of pinchas. Pretty much you have the bar filled with trays of finger foods, speared with long toothpicks. You fill up your plate with food, eat and then at the end of the evening, they count how many sticks are on your plate and then charge you. My friend quipped "The Barcelonians are surprisingly honest when it comes to pinchas." We opted to sit outside one bar for two reasons a) it had a rare empty table, and b), the bar looked incredibly creepy and Halloween-like. I ordered Sangria and we shared patatas bravas and I was given honorary Spanish citizenship. The highlight of the evening was watching one little girl dance to a street band. She was ADORABLE. She looked exactly like a little tiny woman and she had moves. Her father leaned against the bar with a drink and only once in a while would tell her stay away from the intersecting street. Another little girl danced with her and people stopped and smiled and listened to the music. It was truly a wonderful atmosphere. The Spanish treat children similarly to the Italians. They aren't considered Necessary Evils in these countries... they are considered Necessary. There is a sense of freedom that the kids are given here, a respect and a sense of inclusiveness. So refreshing. We finished our drinks and decided to head home and sit on the balcony for some cheese and bread and wine. It was the perfect end to a long day and after our late meal, I promptly passed out.






This city is pretty amazing and I hope that I can walk away from this trip a little bit more relaxed and a lot more at ease. But I will never be o.k. with the luggage waiting. AN HOUR?!?! Adios!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Key Word Post

A Tova Movie Re-cap: Bram Stoker's Dracula

The Way Some People Find my Blog and a Challenge