Parental Discipline

Ugh. Did not sleep well last night. At 2 in the morning, the Kid decided to lose his pacifier and kvetch and kvetch for over an hour. We are currently trying to re-educate him that he needs to, you know, sleep the whole night. He loves going to bed. I'm not making this up to sound like a smug parent. Like, "my child just adores broccoli and Chopin!" or "my child can tell the difference between Monet and Manet". I usually respond with "my kid likes to put his pacifier on the ground and then lean down and pick it up with his mouth." I get horrified looks because a) he is two and a half and still using a pacifier (like, whatevs) and b) I'm not outbragging. I swear, it has turned into a motherloving sport.

But yes, the Kid loves to go to bed. Sleeping? Whole nother matter. At 7:15 in the evening we make his milk and tell him it is time for bed. He walks up to his crib (yes, still in a crib) says "bye and bye" and we toss him in. For about an hour he is quiet and then he starts to randomly talk to himself. About what? No clue. Is it probably something brilliant? Probably not. Lately, around 9, he cries out for more milk and since I know that this is the only way to get some sleep, I will give in. This will slowly have to stop. What I've learned is that quick fixes for me end up being long term fixes in the future. Take a shortcut now, pay with your soul later.

Everybody has a different philosophy on child rearing... Have you seen the Internet?? I don't go into Mommy forums unless I'm looking up medical issues like; Kid has a 39.4 fever. Should I drop into a fetal position and cry? Or go to the hospital? Most answers are "YOU TERRIBLE MOTHER! YOUR KID PROBABLY HAS A BRAIN EATING BACTERIA BECAUSE YOU DIDN'T BREASTFEED!!!"... Every.single.time. And don't get me started on rashes, oh I mean, LEPROSY (BECAUSE YOU DIDN'T BREASTFEED)!!!!

But anyway, I am on a learning curve and to be completely honest, there are some days that I just let it go that he throws his train track against a wall or purposely dumps a cup of juice onto the sofa. He wants attention. I get it. I need attention too, Kid. And Gucci, Gucci would be nice too. There are some days I want to curl into a ball, terrorized by something that is 3 feet tall and then on other days I want to squeeze him and love him and then I start to cry about how fast it goes by. Kids, they affect the most of us, emotionally. Assholes.

Today the daycare opens after 2 and a half weeks of summer vaycay. I sometimes wonder if the daycare providers book those hedonistic tours and down shots of tequila. I am so psyched to get back to normal. The Husband and the Mother in Law have been a tremendous help these past couple of weeks. However, in the future, dear husband, how bout you let me know that your mother will be at our apartment for the day instead of the original plan of taking the Kid back to her place? I HAD PANTIES EVERYWHERE!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Key Word Post

A Tova Movie Re-cap: Bram Stoker's Dracula

The Way Some People Find my Blog and a Challenge