What a Night!

Oh wow! Last night was incredible. I am currently running solely on adrenaline and it is amazing I haven't passed out yet. Yesterday I worked a half day, then grabbed some lunch and then headed to the Stadthalle to watch the last rehearsal for the first semifinal. The press hall was pretty busy and you could tell that there was a different feeling in the air. I worked on my planned tweets and read up on celebrity gossip for a few hours and then I headed to dinner to my friend's restaurant: Der Fuchs und Die Trauben. And this is where I have to admit something... I ate meat. The shame! I couldn't resist the gyoza, guys. I couldn't. I'm not proud.

But hey! 17 days of veganism is not bad and I am back on the wagon today. Not tomorrow though, tomorrow I am heading back to the restaurant at 5:30 to catch a quick dinner before the second semifinal. After my dinner of shame last night, I headed back to the press center and boy was I glad I saved my seat. I also saved a seat for one of my Spanish friends because his husband and posse had tickets to the show and he would be on his own. It was great to have someone calm beside me as I hyperventilated. I thought that the crowd during the day was tense... ha, it was WILD by 8 p.m. Flags were out, people were dressed up and TV cameras were at the ready. I felt like I was in the actual performance hall based on the rising hum of excitement. I sat across from one woman who had put on a beard and people kept posing with her for pictures. Surreal.

I have a feeling that I will be seen in several shots in the background raising my fist at the slow speed of the Internet connection. I was shaky and the 3 cups of coffee didn't help. I have been working hard on tweet ideas the past few days and I was terrified that a) Twitter would crash or, and this would be the worst b) people would think they suck (did they suck? If so, don't tell me. Tell me they were amazing. I need praise. My therapist tells me I need to work on this need). At 9, the show started and it was time to shine. Copy paste, copy paste, clap, look around with a huge smile at the palpable excitement, copy paste, copy paste. It was wild and the time flew by. After the 16 acts, I slumped in my chair, completely spent. Then it was time for the results and I was surprised. And when I realized that Finland didn't make it, I wanted to cry. Look, the music isn't the type of music I usually listen to, but they were good and they put on a show. This hurts my heart because as a mother of a special needs kid, Finland's band has been a beacon of hope for me and for my son's future. I'm not angry. In fact, this just spurs me on to work towards change and acceptance. And I think what struck me was the amazing support from everybody in the press hall for Finland. I have complete faith in humanity and yesterday, watching my peers (ha, I make it sound like I am actually a writer/journalist. #delusional) cheer and clap for this awesome band was important to me. And I have a bit of country crush on Finland right now.

Now it is time to put on my face spackle, do some research and gear up for an incredibly exciting afternoon which I cannot wait to write about soon. Later I will head to the Vienna Expats Meet and Greet so if you are there, come on by and say "hi". I'll be the one clutching a glass of wine, starting my sentences with a "#". #Haveafantasticday

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Key Word Post

A Tova Movie Re-cap: Bram Stoker's Dracula

The Way Some People Find my Blog and a Challenge