What an Amazing Month!

May has been probably the most packed and surreal month of my life! Ok, there was that one summer in Moscow between 1st and second year of university but anyway... No, May was INSANE! I have decided to do a month wrap up because otherwise this would turn into a novel (that would be AWESOME TOO!) So here we go, the amazing highlights of May!


Art Show: Talented artist Fabian Patzak put on a great art show at the beginning of the month called Nature at Loft 8 Kunstraum. It was amazing to go on the opening night. There was free wine. That is always a plus. His work is flawless and it was incredible to see his work considering I used to tease him on the school bus 20 years ago. You should definitely Google stalk him and his work. And he is a great guy!

Opera: I went to the Barber of Seville. It was awesome and you can find my version of Barber of Seville on this blog. David Pershall performed as Figaro and it was fantastic. I felt incredibly lucky to be at the Staatsoper again after just a few weeks. I say that like I perform there. Included in this "opera" title, I also had the honour to get a private tour and see things I never thought I would ever see - like a dressing room. Did you know you get your own dressing room on the night you perform? And there is a shower in there? I guess I just assumed it would be like football players in a changing room. I have never claimed to be smart.

Eurovision: So many amazing things happened during those two weeks. I still haven't gotten over it and whenever I hear one of the songs, I tear up a little bit. The highlights of Eurovision were: just being in the press hall, the press party at the Lower Belvedere (I felt like a princess! In a blazer and jeans!), the red carpet coverage, the press conference with the Finnish band, the semi finals and the final and every.damn.moment.

Hair: I got great highlights. I really did.

The Kid: He has really made such strides in his speaking and behaviour. And yesterday he was absolutely incredible. I went with the Kid and with a friend and her baby out to Türkenschanz park for an AWA picnic. It took us close to 90 minutes to get there because apparently we can't read tram signs and went on the wrong one. We finally got there and the Kid ran around. It was a big playground so I had to run around chasing him. I had one moment of sheer panic when I lost sight of him. Thankfully friends found him. He was standing in the middle of a beach volley game. The men didn't look too impressed so I had to run onto the court and drag the Kid out. It's super easy to run on sand. No it is not. Then the Kid spied the large pond in the back and made a run for it so I had to chase him down a hill before he threw himself into it. Clouds were rolling in so we packed up and headed back to town. Since the Kid and the Baby were in such good moods, we stopped at Museums Quartier for a cocktail. It was amazing and I felt like I was a normal mom, enjoying things with the Kid that I haven't done in 2 years. I am proud of him and, well, I am proud of myself for pushing us out of our comfort zone. Close to 6 hours on the move and he was totally relaxed. SO PROUD!

Frauenlauf: Oh you guys. I was super nervous this morning. I'm glad I have been so busy otherwise I would have been having panic attacks up until today. My starting block was J and I finally got in line before the crowds started walking towards the starting line. A friend moved out of her block and stood beside me so that we could race together. The music sounded and off we went. And of course my damn shoelace came undone. I moved quickly to the side and tied it up and then we were off. The first kilometer was a breeze and I chuckled to myself. 10 weeks of training totally prepared me for this. And then I passed kilometer 2 and I stopped chuckling to myself. I was happy that my shins were not hurting but I definitely started to breathe a little faster... and it pained me to see that octogenarians were kicking my ass. I also thought that was pretty admirable. By kilometer 3, I briefly considered walking but I pushed on and thought about a cold beer at the end. And then at kilometer 4, the side stitch started and it hurt like a... very bad word. There were amazing drum bands at each kilometer but at number 4, we were serenaded by a jazz band. I like jazz. I enjoy jazz. But not when I am about to lose both lungs. It's not running music. It's lie down in front of the fire and drink wine and pretend to be intellectual music. Finally in the distance I could spy the finish line and I was happy. The stitch didn't improve but I powered on. And I made it. I wanted to keel over and die but people were telling us to keep moving and when people yell at me German, I listen. I got my medal and a bottle of water and took off my chip, amazed I had done the race. I headed to the party zone. It was complete madness and the Husband had come with the Kid but the reception was so scrambled that we couldn't get a hold of each other. A friend and I grabbed a beer. We chose the line where people debated whether they wanted a giant pretzel, a stir fry or pasta. WHO THE HELL WANTS TO EAT RIGHT NOW? GIVE ME MY BEER. When it was my turn I asked for "Zwei Krügerl!" and the woman said "Zwei Cola?" and I was like "No! ZWEI KRÜGERL?" "Cola?" OH MY GOD! Luckily my friend yelled out "BIER!" and all was understood. We walked around and then she headed to meet her husband and kid and I tried to call the Husband half a dozen times. We finally rendez vous'd and there was snapping and grumpiness. We headed home and my shins started to ache. I ate some pasta and since then, have been mostly on the sofa, mincing around. I can't believe I finally did it and I am definitely looking forward to more races. I also want to get back to regular runs in the morning and to try and beat my time of 35.12. I totally would have been under 35 had it not been for my kerblasted shoelace! KERBLAST!

So May was absolutely wild! June is also looking to be a little crazy. I have a party, a bbq, a ball and the Gay Pride parade to attend. And on the 21st is the fundraiser. Please share the event and invite your friends. There are so many amazing things to win and I cannot wait! And I will no doubt be a stress case once again. But I seem to thrive on that... I wonder if I should take up extreme origami? Bye May! You were awesome! And hello June!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Key Word Post

A Tova Movie Re-cap: Bram Stoker's Dracula

The Way Some People Find my Blog and a Challenge