So Last Night Was...

INCREDIBLE! ZOMG! Last night was a reception for the delegates and the journalists. I was actually hemming and hawing if I actually wanted to go when I first got the invite but fate showed up. On Sunday I was walking down Mariahilferstrasse on my way back home from the Stadthalle thinking about the event when I bumped into my friend and her husband and her adorable 2 year old. I mentioned it to her and she was like "Hells yes I will go!" and then it was decided.

I sent through my RSVP on Tuesday and it was confirmed within an hour. The invite said to wear traditional country dress and I briefly considered wearing my plaid shirt. I also thought about wearing my dirndl but it got ruined last year and I couldn't justify buying a new one when I should technically be thinner to wear my other one. Gah. Stupid winter/baby/stress weight. I decided on dark jeans, platform sandals, black tee and a blazer and I am glad I did. For some reason, trying to decide what to wear took up way too much brain power - I am usually so good at this type of thing but I am currently in an alternate universe and everything up is down and left is right. My date and I met at Salm Braeu for a drink (2 beers) to build up our interpersonal skills and then it was time to head to the Lower Belvedere next door to get our fun on.

We of course went to the wrong entrance and had to walk around the palace to get to the right place. By the way, palaces are big. I went up to the guy with the clipboard and felt ridiculously awesome when he drew a line through my name and said "Welcome!" We walked into the palace and headed to the toilet because beer. Then we walked into the party, grabbed mimosas and walked around. It is absolutely gorgeous at the Belvedere palace and the place was packed. We stepped outside and took in the view of a manicured gardens and a fountain and of course two bars serving drinks. Yay! At around 8:30 we were ushered into the room with the stage and there were a couple of speeches and then the music started. The band Power Krainer performed and they were hilarious. They covered "All About the Bass" with drums and trumpets and the crowd loved them. Here I am giving my friend the stink eye because I had had just enough alcohol to be easily persuaded to go up and have a picture taken with them.

The drinks were flowing and then the food came out. The organizers had arranged a dish from every country performing at Eurovision which comes out to over 40 different dishes. The waiters came bearing trays while carrying flags and it was incredible! And of course, I am a blasted vegan right now so I ate bread. I don't know what has gotten into me but my willpower sure is strong. I hate myself right now. At one point we spotted the guy from all the Tele-ring commercials and my friend told me he is also a choreographer which blew my mind. I decided after another drink that I would go up and get my picture taken with him as well. Working the crowd, I was.

The dessert was rolled out and Kaiserschmarren was served and I cried some more because, vegan. At this point we noticed 4 men getting really excited about the dish and we decided to strike up a conversation with these spirited guys. Three of them are Spanish and one is Portuguese and they are absolutely lovely. I told them that I have been sitting alone all week and needed a buddy and they were like "Tomorrow you sit with us!!" and I girly squealed. We danced a little and met some interesting people and also a delegate from Moldova and it was all very surreal. I think I kept saying "THIS IS SO SURREAL!" throughout the evening while updating my Facebook page because that's the thing to do nowadays, amirite? At around 10, our mommy voices reminded us that we have small children at home and jobs to go to so it was time to head home and get our sleep. I'm glad those voices spoke up because I have a feeling I would be waking up in the Belvedere fountain just about now.

It was an amazing night and I can honestly say that it will be hard to top that party. But of course, I will try. Tomorrow I will be spending most of the afternoon and evening at Stadthalle. In the morning  I will take the Kid to a couple of playgrounds so that the Husband can rest a little in anticipation of the next week of craziness. On Sunday is the official opening of Eurovision at the Rathaus and I will try and be there. But tonight will be nice and chill and I have a feeling I will be asleep by 9. Stay tuned for more Eurovision updates and whether or not my new "friends" will actually talk to me when I show up in the press hall. Happy Friday!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Key Word Post

A Tova Movie Re-cap: Bram Stoker's Dracula

The Way Some People Find my Blog and a Challenge