8 Weeks of Interval Training - Check!

Well I did it! I actually stuck to something for 8 weeks without getting distracted by something else... actually anything else. I'm a bit of a gnat with my attention span when it comes to fitness. I will go into something wholeheartedly for a couple of weeks, become the utmost expert on something, preach from the heavens about this "thing" and then I will be like "Oooh! Look! Couch Yoga!". But not this time! Oh, not this time! I actually followed through and stuck to a programme. I did go a little crazy the first few weeks because I don't change for no one.

The interval training is supposed to be 3 times a week but being a fan of pushing myself to the limit, I was doing it close to 6 times a week and that was excessive. I started doing obnoxious things like calling myself "a runner". Ahahaha, young Grasshopper. Slow down there. The last two weeks, I took it a little slower and ran 4 times each week and that was a lot more manageable. Yesterday was my final run and I ran for 30 minutes straight and reached my 5k goal. I can't believe it! I would like to thank the Academy...

I'm not a runner and 8 weeks ago I definitely thought of runners as being those things you put on your dining room table when you want to be fancy. But the training programme started off gently and I made sure I had plenty of motivation; presents and googling images of running people and of course before and after pictures of people who had become runners.

Did I notice a huge change in myself? Well, I learned new swear words. I definitely discovered shin splints. I learned not to look at myself in a mirror after a run. I also lost 4 kilos (8 pounds) and have noticed that my thighs don't jiggle for more than a minute after slapping them (old personal best: 3 minutes). My energy levels are much higher and I feel a lot healthier in general. I didn't change my diet and that was dumb but I am human and it is incredible how I can convince myself that a deep dish pizza for breakfast is a good life choice.

The 5k race is on May 31st and I will keep training for it. I'm terrified but I am grateful to know that paramedics won't be called in after the first 10 minutes. And, because I am that much of a dumbass, I signed up for a virtual 10k in September. Stupid, stupid, stupid. This is what cocky and delusional looks like (imagine a picture of me).

The virtual run is through the site called The Oatmeal which my office twin told me about. AMAZING site and I demand that you go and check it out. Highlarious. After the 5k, I will need to up my game and find cheaper presents to motivate myself or we will go bankrupt.

So there you have it. I am smug. I am not running this morning because I decided to side eye Kate for giving birth to a child apparently wearing a rocket launcher attached to her head - fastest birth ever. Kate looked better than ever and that makes me want to kick myself for having become Swamp Thing during my pregnancy. Once the Kid wakes up, I will take him on a walk around the neighbourhood and then in the afternoon I have a photography lesson with my editor so that I can be award winning journalist at the Eurovision song contest (say it and make it so). Around 4:30 I will head to the Yak and Yeti on Hofmuehlgasse for a fundraiser for the victims of the Nepalese Earthquake. I wish you all a lovely Sunday and catch you on the flipside! Woot!

Comments

  1. Good shoes are HUGE. I used to have pain in my knees all day every day because my shoes did support my high arches. Getting good shoes (and might I add, good insoles) has made a huge difference for me.

    Check out my blog for other interesting tips on how to treat shin splints. never-never-never-give-up .COM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Gary for your suggestion and the link! I actually coincidentally tried on an old pair of shoes the other day and it made a huge difference! They fit much better than my old shoes and I felt almost "bouncy" Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Key Word Post

A Tova Movie Re-cap: Bram Stoker's Dracula

The Way Some People Find my Blog and a Challenge