So I Set Out to Get my Press Pass

And boy oh boy! The accreditation office officially opened today and I was not going to wait another day to pick up my press pass because just saying "press pass" is giving me a ridiculous amount of joy. The Eurovision is being held at the Stadthalle and is a bit of trek to get to. I grabbed the U1, switched at Stephansplatz and took the U3 to Westbahnhof. I was going to catch the U6 but there were a lot of men in tracksuits and wifebeaters and I am pretty sure they were not part of a sports team so I decided to risk it and walk one stop... along the Guertel, past sex shops.

I made it to Stadthalle and my heart quickened when I saw all the trucks and signs and flags and yes, this is really happening. I used to skate at Stadthalle when I was a teenager but then my dad would drop me off at the door (please refer to above comment regarding the Guertel and sex shops) and pick me up at the door. I also went with the Husband to watch Holiday on Ice and Roxette, because amazing. So I have never paid much attention to the layout. I walked to the front and noticed fences and people in yellow vests and I tried to recall the map I had looked at earlier. The accreditation is supposed to be by a platz and because I am useless at instructions, I assumed the platz was to the right of the Stadthalle. So I walked.


And then I kept walking. And motherlover why am I in another district? Ugh. I don't feel good about this. Is that man pushing a stroller full of beer? Did that woman just spit at me? WHERE AM I? I kept walking and finally got to the back of the Stadthalle. I felt like crying a little when it became clear I was not even close to the press center. I manned up and approached one of the yellow vest guys and motioned to him to get up and come over and I tried to put on a smile that conveyed "I'm not a psycho fan trying to break in but perhaps you can assist me young man?" He approached and I asked where the press center was and he shrugged. Ugh. He advised me to keep walking and to ask another yellow vest guy about 200 meters down. 

I finally got to the next "post" and this vest guy was more helpful and told me to make a left about another 200 meters down. I finally got to the corner and got confused by an arrow pointing the wrong way and asked yet another vest guy who told me that I would see the entrance to the accreditation office once I made one more left. And well, look at that. I was right at the front once again. Hey, at least my Fitbit was happy. Dammit. I finally got to the right place and walked in. It was a large-ish room with a couple of booths at the end. There were a couple of people in line and I patiently waited, convinced that at any minute someone would scream "Candid Camera! We got you good!!" I casually eavesdropped as one young man asked where the tour for Eurovision was and the woman behind the counter showed great restraint by not laughing in his face. 

Then the woman in front of me went next and she was asked for her passport (no problem, I brought mine) and then was asked for her press card (well, shit). I took out my phone and desperately pulled up the e-mail declaring me accredited and waited for my turn with my heart in my throat while trying to look journalistically cool. Then it was my turn and I decided that I would speak English because I feel I come across less apologetic and it gives me a bit of an upper hand. I am a bad person. 

"Hi. I'm here to pick up my press pass!" I declared with a huge smile.
"Hello! I just need your passport and a press card." she answered back with an American accent. Oh.
"I... I don't have a press card?" I responded sheepishly.
"Not a problem!" she answered and I felt a wave of relief. We chatted briefly and it turns out she is from New York with Austrian parents. She took my picture and then passed me a Eurovision bag that weighed a ton "And here is some free stuff!" 

I wanted to snatch it out of her hand and scream "SWAG?!? I GET SWAG?!?" but I just thanked her and acted all cool and shit and then she handed me my press pass. The picture that she took, well, I look like I am ordering a salad with dressing on the side and instead of tomatoes I want spring onions and instead of romaine, I want spinach and instead of... well, I look obnoxious. But the funny thing is, that when I walked out of that room, holding my pass, I got a little verklempt. It's happening. It is really happening. And I am so incredibly grateful to have this chance and I really hope I don't mess it up. I have worked my tuckus off and I feel like it is paying off and I want to thank you all for reading this blog and for being so supportive and holy crap, you give a Jew some swag and she gets all emotional. So I will just end this post with... Thank you.




Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Key Word Post

A Tova Movie Re-cap: Bram Stoker's Dracula

The Way Some People Find my Blog and a Challenge