I Made it to Day 23

Well, there it is. I made it until day 23 of my no drinking 30 day challenge. Usually I would be beating myself up over having not completed my challenge, but actually, I feel ok about it. I survived over 3 weeks of not drinking and attended: several dinners out, an event with an open bar, a ball, my birthday, a concert, Valentine's Day. You try being sexy and sober. Impossible! I did well and I proved to myself that I am just as charming and witty sober as I am tipsy. Well, I am biased of course. I wasn't worried about my drinking because I actually don't have a drinking problem (it's hard to believe, I know), but I was getting a little tired of celebrating EVERY.LITTLE.THING with a drink. Europe is the home of casual drinking and quite often, a glass of wine can be cheaper than a Coke. This was a good challenge to see if I could adapt socially and if I do say so myself, I passed with flying colours. What made me cave yesterday? My dear friend K.P. was back in town and together, we are trouble.

K.P. is in Austria to visit her husband as he is performing in Salzburg this month and she came to Vienna for one night to meet up with friends. It would have been criminal not to have had a couple of drinks with her. CRIMINAL! She had talked to her husband about my visit on Wednesday to Salzburg and he was like "What happens in Salzburg stays in Salzburg" So I guess I would have cracked under the pressure anyway. And apparently Salzburg is the new Vegas. I met her at Naschmarkt yesterday as she was finishing up a coffee with another friend. I sat for a minute and then we headed to K.P.'s hotel in the 7th so that she could get changed. We stopped at the hotel bar and the sign said "Happy Hour at 6." We looked at the time and saw "5:40" and stood around, planning our next move. K.P. was like "I'm going to fight for this." and me, the pacifist said "We can come back." and she was about to head up to the bar when the bartender yelled out "Hello Ladies! It's ok, it's 6 o'clock on my watch!" and not all heroes wear capes, my friends.

We each ordered a glass of bubbly and that first sip was incredible. We chatted and caught up and then took our glasses upstairs so she could get ready. Just after 7 we made our way to der fuchs und die trauben. I ordered dumplings because of course I did. And I also ordered a glass of red wine because I had broken the seal. It was a lovely night with lovely ladies and while I could have gone Spring Break on a bottle of wine, I did not. I showed restraint. I will definitely be drinking less in general after this challenge. It was a great thing to do and even though I didn't finish it, I did pretty damn well. So I am going to go ahead and pat myself on the back. Feel free to pat me on the back as well. Go ahead, praise me.


Moving on....the Kid is doing great and is loving therapy. He is a lot more communicative and it is kind of hilarious because he thinks that by looking at me and smiling, he is telling me what he wants. This morning he crawled into our bed like he usually does but as of 6 a.m. he kept sitting up, tapping me on the arm and then giving me a sparkling smile and staring deep into my eyes. It was hilarious and slightly terrifying. This went on in 5 minute intervals for half an hour until I finally asked "Do you want to watch cartoons?" and he jumped out of the bed and headed to the living room. I'm proud of him for trying to communicate more and this is a direct result of the fab therapy he is receiving. Good times ahead! I can just feel it! And before I end this post, just a couple of things. I am signing up for the Frauenlauf again this May. The first and last time I did it was two years ago. I would say it was a blast but I think truly the best part was the beer afterwards and the sense of smugness for running my first 5K. I am looking forward to "training" for it again and I hope to shave at least 2-3 minutes off my time this race. So that means I have to dig out the spandex and the loose clothes that cover the spandex and starting running again. I am kind of looking forward to it. Kind of...


Aaaand, if you are looking for a new reality show, may I suggest So Cosmo... It's about the offices of Cosmopolitan magazine and it is hilarious how they are making the magazine world look so glamorous and fun. I think I will be hooked to this show... especially after just finishing Cat Marnell's book. Oh New York, I need to go back and visit soon. I wish you all a fab day and stay tuned for a blog post about my trip to Salzburg. I have no doubt it will be eventful! Toodles!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Key Word Post

A Tova Movie Re-cap: Bram Stoker's Dracula

The Way Some People Find my Blog and a Challenge