A Musical Night

Last night I was finally able to attend Mosaique again. My friend C. introduced me to this series about a year and a half ago and while I can't attend as often as I would like, I am always blown away by the show. I have written about the series before and so I won't repeat myself (that's a first) but last night might have been my favourite show. I am a sucker for Dvorak because drama!

After work I had a little free time before meeting a friend for an early dinner. I decided to finally check out the art store in the 5th district called Gerstaecker. I have walked by this place a few times and have always wanted to check it out but since my days are planned down to the minute, I never had time before. But this time I did! I walked in and I was blown away by the size and the choice. Certain things in Vienna are difficult/impossible to find. For example: food colouring. Other things, like ball tickets and chocolate... make it rain, Mozart.


So finding this art store was a bit like stumbling upon a desert oasis that serves Shamrock Shakes. The place is HUGE! And there are aisles after aisles of paintbrushes and paints and sketch books and canvas and frames and there I am loading up on crepe paper and hobby glue. I blend. The reason I stopped in was because I was looking for supplies for a baby shower that I am hosting in March. I walked out of the store with my Michael's craftstore haul, happy as a clam. This morning I started on a decoration and I took a picture of it and sent it to the mom-to-be. I wrote "You can't have a Tiki-themed baby shower without a flamingo and palm tree garland. YOU just cannot!" She agreed. So the next couple of weeks I will be tracing and cutting and painting and driving the Husband nutso while he watches TV. Good times ahead. After the art store orgy, I walked down to a wine bar on Pilgramgasse to meet a friend. As you know, I am doing a 30 day dry spell so I stupidly ordered a double espresso (did not fall asleep until midnight) and cracked open my Kindle to read more of How to Murder Your Life. I'm just going to say it: this book is cray cray. I mean, this is so beyond what I expected. The easiest way to describe it is... is as if a frat boy took Girl Interrupted, Catcher in the Rye and The Devil Wears Prada to a party and fed them tequila shots and made them dance to Iggy Pop. And I mean that as a compliment. Complete craziness... and making me feel better about my life choices in my late teens.

A little while later my friend showed up at the wine bar and we ate dinner and chatted. Around 6:45, we jumped on the U-bahn and headed to the 15th district for the concert. Mosaique has their performances in an awesome loft-factory. The ground floor is for conversing and ordering drinks and the upstairs is where the magic happens. The theme this time (there is always a theme. You know how much I love themes) was Bohemia. And it was truly a fantastic show. There was some poetry reading and beautiful singing and of course my favourite: string quartet accompanied by piano. The music was broody and dark and hopeful and lovely and I couldn't believe how fast the show went by. During the intermission, I talked to a friend about the poem America from Allen Ginsberg and we reminisced about university and about the guys who would angrily and passionately read beatnik poetry. She sighed and said that her type had been broke student who played guitar player. My type, was trust fund kid and broody. Broody...but always nice. I have never liked the "asshole". I seek out kindness in people and after a few "let's never speak of this again" mishaps, I settled on my type: trust fund kid, not too broody, but definitely kind. And no matter what struggles we go through in our marriage (him switching out my caffeinated coffee for de-caf without telling me. I pretty much booked blood work tests because I was so fatigued. This is divorce worthy.) I will always say that the Husband is incredibly kind.... and generous. He bought me a new coffee maker yesterday and set it up. The happiness I felt this morning! I totally should apologize for all the hissing over the past two mornings. Anyway.

The coffee maker wasn't the only bad news for me. On Monday I got a message from a lovely woman, telling me that unfortunately, the Beacon Beach House wouldn't be nominated as a possible "charity of the year" for an organization. Apparently a few lovely people put it up as a possible charity but sadly it doesn't meet the right criteria. While the Beacon Beach House is a non-profit organization (legally in Viennese: a Verein), it isn't a charity. I totally understand and I want people to follow the rules but I was definitely sad. And I did cry which is rare for me. I am used to a lot of obstacles on this journey but it doesn't mean it still doesn't hurt. I know there will be more hits along the way but hopefully there will be more pushes and opportunities: Vienna's hard, y'all! But I brush myself off and write stern sounding e-mails and I keep on trucking. One day I will look back at this and laugh and laugh. It would be great if that day is tomorrow. I wish you all a fabulous evening! And stay tuned for more stories... even if I am not drinking, there are always stories.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Key Word Post

A Tova Movie Re-cap: Bram Stoker's Dracula

The Way Some People Find my Blog and a Challenge