A Gala Evening and My First Big Test

This past week at work was absolute madness! We were understaffed and it was busy! Two nights in a row I worked late and on Friday morning, I had to be in by 7:15. To add to the stress, our poor nanny was off and the Kid was coming down with a cold and the Husband was hit with the man flu. There was a lot of gritting of teeth and Scarlett O'Hara grasping of dirt and saying "As God is my witness..." But the week is done and I can breathe a little bit easier. Well, there is other stuff to stress about so at least I continue to have a hobby.

On Thursday evening I got the pictures from the photo shoot. She did a fabulous job and I totally recommend her! I looked less hag-like than usual and there are lots of pictures news stations can use when I am arrested when I finally lose my shit in a grocery store in this city when the person in front of me pays for something in 1 cent coins. Inevitable. After work on Friday, I ran home and took a shower and impulsively gave myself bangs. I noticed from the pictures that I have a bit of a Dr. Fraser Crane forehead (and bangs are also instant Botox) so why not? I somewhat instantly regretted the move but I will live with the decision stoically...like a scarlet letter "A". Dramatic, Tova. Very dramatic.

I put on my make up and the green ball dress I made for the Science Ball last year and I was ready. The Husband ordered me a taxi and when I climbed into the car, the taxi driver, with a deep sigh, asked me where to. I said "The Hotel Intercontinental" and he sighed in relief. If you are wondering why, let me explain. Last night was not only the fab gala but also the very very controversial Akademiker Ball at the Hofburg Palace. The Akademiker Ball is not a ball for academics... rather, and how do I put this delicately, many people who attend the ball are... um... maybe not the biggest fans of anybody who is not white. Now, my blog is not political because I believe in escapism once in a while. So I won't go to much into detail about the above-mentioned ball but let's just say that the taxi driver was relieved that I did not pull out a white hood and that I was heading somewhere else. We pulled up to the Intercontinental Hotel and I headed into the lobby and then made my way to the ball room. Just over a year ago, I had attended a Marine Ball and it was funny to note that it was a very different group of people this year. I gave my name and then checked my coat, and looked around for a familiar face. Not seeing one of those, I headed to a high table in the back and took a glass of Fanta and texted my friend "Are you guys here? I'm standing in the back awkwardly." One of the organizers who I met in December came and said "Hi" and introduced me to another man. I asked him where he was from and he named a city in the States. He asked me where I was from and I said "Toronto." His eyes widened and he said "Did you fly in for this?" and I said "NO! Did you fly in for this?!?!" and he shook his head and then we stood in disappointed silence. The organizer cleared his throat and said "But there a couple of people who flew in from Switzerland for tonight!" and I perked up and looked around the room. I'm not sure what I thought I would see that would tip me off that a certain person flew in from Switzerland: perhaps someone would be holding a cuckoo clock or a bar of gold.

The organizer left to mingle and I made small talk with my new high table buddy. He asked me what I do and of course I launched into "Well, I am opening an autism center and blah blah blah.." I should probably stop doing that but maybe I am manifesting some kind of mental-vision board speak it make so magic. A few minutes later, my friends came over and introductions were made and at 8 on the dot, we were herded into the ballroom. Our table was called "Fabulousness" because of course it was!! We are fab. Now, I am currently on a 30 day no drinking challenge and last night was my first Indiana Jones Last Crusade-like test. I had avoided the champagne and now it was time to avoid the amazing wine on offer. For me the hard part wasn't so much avoiding the alcohol, the hard part was knowing that the drinks were included in the price of the ticket and I like to get my money's worth. The first course was a pumpkin soup, the second course was venison sausages, and the third was rare steak with carrrots and truffle sauce. Veganism took a break last night, my friends. For dessert they served a dessert wine (No THANK YOU, she said smugly) with a pear strudel. After dinner, there was a short performance and then the auction started. Auctions are exciting, y'all! A friend of a friend at our table bid on several items and it was outrageously fun. I got to vicariously experience having money to spend.

After the auction was RAFFLE time! I had bought about 13 tickets and I was ready to win big! I did not win big. But I did win a couple of items so Yay! Gin and Tonic time! WHY MUST YOU TORTURE ME!? Again, she said no, smugly. Then the DJ started and he was hands down the BEST DJ I have ever seen. Next wedding? He's hired. Now, I have to admit that I was not expecting to dance. Dancing happens when I am alone at home or after several glasses of wine and it is past midnight and it is dark in the room. But lo and behold, I actually danced and it was so much fun. Sure, I didn't break out my mad mad dance skillz (I have strong thighs, I like to Russian style dance after a few cocktails), but I danced. And I apologize to all my friends at the table for saying throughout the night "Hey! I am having a great time without drinking! Hey! I am funny without drinking! Look at me! Dancing without drinking!" I was like a toddler taking her very first steps, making sure everybody was watching this important moment... for 6 hours.

Last night I had the pleasure to spend the evening with my friends L, P, G, and G. I also met a couple more people and of course, the always lovely A and J came to Vienna from Zürich for the event. "Did you guys fly in yesterday?" I asked A and he said "Yes, and flying back Sunday." and I said "But you guys are loving Zürich, right? Ooooohhh waaaaiiiitt! You are the ones who flew in from Switzerland. I am a dumbass!" I told him that I had heard a couple of people had flown in and I had wondered who they were and meanwhile I knew that my two friends had flown in from Switzerland and I did not put 2 and 2 together because dumb. It was an absolutely fabulous event and a lot of money was raised. I also like being able to remember every detail without cringing in shame the next morning. There is something to be said about waking up the next day and not feeling the urge to forage in the kitchen for carbs like a cracked-out squirrel. I guess this is how Mormons feel everyday? And the best part is that I am firmly back in the land of smug and that is a fabulous place for me to be in. And now I wish you a great Saturday! This sober Cinderella is going to a ball tonight and will once again be declaring loudly "I am having so much fun without alcohol!" and of course, I will definitely be hitting the dance floor once more. Happy Saturday!

P.S. G, dear friend, I did not mention the falling down pantyhose. See?! You are welcome.

Comments

  1. I went to this place in first time with my husband on Tuesday night after work. The inside of the event venues was quit big and had enough seats to sit and nice bar area. We had a few things, along with drinks and it was all good!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Key Word Post

A Tova Movie Re-cap: Bram Stoker's Dracula

The Way Some People Find my Blog and a Challenge