The Meeting Today

So today was a meeting with an autism center in Vienna. It's a long story but thanks to Mike Lake's visit the other week, I got a completely unexpected e-mail. This e-mail asked if I would like to collaborate with them seeing as Autism in Vienna is the new kid on the block. I was incredibly excited because I believe that if we all work together, bringing our knowledge and experience to the table, we will be stronger and can start lobbying for financial support from the health services here, spread awareness and work towards a brighter future for the 86,000 people with autism in Austria.

I guess I was wrong to believe that this was a common belief. I have hit some roadblocks along the way, received some bizarro messages... one woman asked me to set her up with a doctor who wouldn't give her (non-autistic) kids vaccines because they cause autism (don't ask me how I felt about that) and have had to be pretty pushy. I have spent a lot of my own money to try and put together events and workshops, have spent hours and hours to try and get a network going and am kind of used to being ignored. Well, no, I still hate being ignored!

Fueled by frustration at the absolute lack of information and support, I started the Autism in Vienna page back in September and thanks to friends and the magic of social media, we've been getting a lot of hits. When I received the above-mentioned e-mail the other day, I was super happy. I showed up at 4 after a full day of work and expected that I would be meeting only the woman who had contacted me. No, there was another person who was there and has been there for a long time. We went to a room and before I could properly get my coat off, I was bombarded with questions and what seemed kind of like accusations. The whole talk was in German and after the hour plus chat, I felt like I had run a marathon. They were of course nice and I understand the complete frustration they feel at not getting any government support but I am not the enemy. In fact, I am an avenging Terminator sent from the depths of Limbo (I'm Jewish) to try and get as much support and funding.

The meeting was useful because there was some dialogue and I will do everything to support any autism awareness. And I did say "I am not trying to compete. My idea of a center is to provide some normalcy for parents and children because as a parent of an autistic child, this is incredibly important!" and I said it all in German and I was exhausted from trying to convince them that I wasn't usurping anybody so it probably came out as "Autistichesihihe kind, meins, zentrum eltern wollen normal sein. Geschichte, bibliothek, bier bitte." Ugh. Was a tough meeting but I think it was important to have and I know that if we ALL work together, we will achieve so much more. And I am totally bringing cupcakes to whatever next meeting I will attend. There were a couple of ideas that popped up that they seemed to be interested in so that is of course a plus. I can't fault them for being frustrated because funding is tight but we really need to work together... all of the organizations in Vienna. After the meeting, I headed home and did feel a little defeated because I don't know why I feel like I have to fight so hard all the time.

I checked my mail box and there was a package for me! Dudes, presents in the mail are everything to me! And I opened it up and there was a book! A book that my friend K. helped co-author with Bear Grylls. When she met him for the first time back in England a couple of years ago, I might or might not have asked her to acquire something of his to give to me but she is the ultimate professional and I am a stalker so she declined. She told me about a year ago that she was collaborating with him on a book and I about lost my ever loving shit in excitement for her. When the book came out, I couldn't wait to buy a copy.. and the funny thing is is that I was going to buy it this weekend because I had to first wait for my new credit card to come. She had Bear sign it for me and it said "To Tova, Go for it! Bear." and it was the most perfectly timed gift EVER!

She also included a lovely little birthday card. It was like a sign from the universe to keep going from a lovely friend and a hot guy. Best sign ever. So yes, I will GO FOR IT! I am now going to sit on the sofa, put up my feet and watch some TV. Nighty night!

Comments

  1. Stumbled across your blog because of your Yoga 30 day challenge but now obsessed with reading everything! I loved the end. Definitely a sign from the universe! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Key Word Post

A Tova Movie Re-cap: Bram Stoker's Dracula

The Way Some People Find my Blog and a Challenge