The Kid and The Event Tomorrow

Hello Monday night! I am hopped up on adrenaline because tomorrow is the big day! I am getting more and more RSVP's for Mike Lake's presentation and that is making me very very happy! This afternoon at work, I made my way to Cafe Hawelka for a meeting with Mike Lake and his lovely assistant. Of course I have been stalking the Hawelka owner for the past couple of months and this time I was a little embarrassed to walk in alone. I grabbed the first table I could find and ordered an espresso and avoided making eye contact with the owner. I won't lie, I was a little nervous about the meeting. I don't always make a great impression the first time I meet somebody. I either make an incredibly inappropriate joke or say something obnoxious.

And this was an important meeting today. At 5, Mr. Lake and his assistant showed up and I was already hopped up on caffeine. As is normal with Canadians, we small talked and ordered and it was nice. I also pointed out the guy I am stalking to the other woman and now he has another devotee. Perfect ice breaker, my friends. After about 10 minutes, we moved into Autism territory and talked about the presentation tomorrow evening. Mike Lake is absolutely lovely and he is such a tireless advocate for autism awareness. I told him about my own experiences here and how I was judged as a mother and told to quit my job and told to re-birth my son and so on and so forth. He was shocked and then I said "And maybe I shouldn't have had that bottle of gin in the bath when I was pregnant." and then there was awkward silence because Tova the Inappropriate had shown up. Ugh. Shut up, woman. I assured him I was joking and then we moved on. With some side eye.

In the end it was a lovely talk. I left the meeting with a spring in my step and met my friend D.K. for a quick drink. I then ran home, put the Kid to bed and now I have spent the last 2 hours sending e-mails and working on my speech.... and my outfit for tomorrow. So once again, come on by to this amazing event if you can! It will be AMAZING!!

Speaking of the Kid. This morning we had a meeting at the daycare. We are much more relaxed about these meetings because we love this daycare. But we still have post traumatic stress from our time at the old daycare. We showed up at the daycare, dropped the Kid off in another classroom and met with his two main providers. We love his main provider who has shown such dedication in making the Kid comfortable and for keeping us in the loop. She started off by thanking us for doing as much as we do and we thanked her for doing the same. The other provider (who has been off work for the past 5 months) told us that she was amazed at the progress he has made. They have noticed he is so much more aware, follows instructions and is just such a happy little boy. I teared up and told them how happy he is to come to kindergarten every morning and then they teared up. The Husband and I have noticed how he has re-discovered the word "Nein" and it is exciting and also hilarious. Just yesterday the Husband walked into the kitchen and the Kid was trying to get into the dishwasher. The Husband told him off and then the Kid stood in the middle of the kitchen and yelled back at the Husband "NEIN!" We both laughed but tried not to. We laughed because it was hilarious but also because we were so proud that he said the word in context. I also asked the Kid to get me the butter from the fridge and he totally did it. My little boy is doing so well and I am so happy!!! Sure, there will be more and more hurdles but these little moments are the fuel I need to keep going.

So now I have to finish my speech for tomorrow. I have also removed my neon pink nail polish and will put some curlers in my hair. I have to be at work tomorrow at 7:30 and then in the afternoon I will head to the Technical University. I am excited and a little terrified but this is a big deal and I could not be happier that this is happening. So if you are in Vienna, please come on by. I also want to thank my friends for sharing the event, excited to featured in the Science Ball magazine and to my buds at Vienna Würstelstand for plugging it. Nighty night my dear friends. Life is looking pretty fabulous right now!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Key Word Post

A Tova Movie Re-cap: Bram Stoker's Dracula

The Way Some People Find my Blog and a Challenge