The Heat Broke

Oh thank the heavens! The heat has broken. I was getting stabby in the 38 degree weather. Look, I like warm weather, but when it is 32 degrees at 10 in the evening, I am going to get a little Kanye in LAX.

It is Sunday afternoon and we are watching Formula 1. I just got back from a walk with the Kid. We walked to Stumpergasse to take a look at a friend's husband's new barber shop. It looks amazing from the outside. If you are looking for old school male hair care, this place is perfect!!! Check out the site here: http://www.gillerundco.com/
I don't know what is happening here but it is amazing.

This has been a busy social weekend. So let's start with Friday afternoon. I ran home and washed my face and put on my spackle because I had to record a video of myself for something I am applying for. More details on that once I hear more. I did the video in one take because I hate over analyzing myself... and I am quite happy going through life not seeing pictures or videos of myself because I can convince myself I look like Sofia Vergara.

I then washed off all the spackle and then put on lighter make up and got changed and then headed to a friend's place. She lives in the neighbourhood and we had a drink and melted in the heat. I had decided last minute to join her at a Quebecois meet and greet for a quick drink. Do I speak French? Non. I can understand most of it... badly. We headed to Naschmarkt and I ordered a mojito and I was that asshole who crashed a Francophone get together. I realized that I was slowing down the conversation with my incessant "Scusi?" or should have I been saying "Pardon?" Ugh. I am a jerk. So I said adieu and ran off to my next meet up.

I showed up at Flatschers and looked for my friends. I said to the waiter that there was a reservation under a certain name and he was like "No. Don't think there is." and I had a mini panic that I had ended up at the wrong place. But he kindly checked the computer and said that I was in the wrong Flatschers and had to head 50 meters down the street to the Flatschers Bistro. It is awesome, by the way!!!! Inside is lovely and they have a lovely courtyard in the back. I ordered a cheeseburger with frites and a Lillet spritzer and it was great to hang out with my friends, enjoying a fine meal. (Quick sidenote: one friend, when I mentioned something in my life was like "Don't tell me! I haven't read your latest post yet! " And I suddenly realized: I'm a spoiler. AMAZING!) (Another sidenote: this was a good bye to a friend dinner and that was sad and she totally needs to stay in Vienna.) We decided to share a dessert platter which was in retrospect a dumbass idea because we were already so so full. The desserts were incredible, however. I will be back and next time I will wear my stretchier pants. After dinner we decided to walk off all the food and ended up stopping at der Fuchs und die Trauben for a nightcap. And yes, I have a problem. I am addicted to this place.

I decided to walk home and dream a dream of getting the thing I am applying to and also to finally hearing back from a literary agent. I have sent off 6 applications and just the other day I received the "So, ya, we are going to pass." which, while I understand is completely normal, it still hurts. I am handling it well besides keeping the e-mail and making sure I write them later when I become a famous writer. Call it the J.K. Rowling move. Why yes! I am petty! I made it home and peeled off my clothes and crawled into bed with cheeseburgers and apple tarts doing kickboxing in my stomach. Saturday morning was cloudy and muggy and I spent an hour obsessively checking different weather forecasts for when the storm was expected to hit, while saying "Yo, yo, yo, where my storm at?!" I got dressed and headed to Mariahilferstrasse because I had finally decided buy myself a new camera. I walked into Saturn and headed to the camera section, called a guy over and said "I'll take that one." I had done no research but it looked cute, it was within my budget and they had it in pink. I am also a little obsessed with it. It has all these funky functions that I have been playing with so get ready for a lot of crappy pictures of buildings and stuff. I made this yesterday. I am very proud. It is amazing, right!?!

In the evening I headed out again because my oldest and one of my dearest friends was in town and her sister just had a baby and new babies are so EXCITING! We met at, you guessed it, der Fuchs und die Trauben (I really really need an adult) and we had a couple of hours to chat and catch up. I hope to head to Barcelona in August for a weekend to see her so that we can catch up some more. After filling up with gyoza (and I accidentally wrote: feeling up... which would have worked to because I have a problem), I had to run and meet a couple of friends for a nightcap. The plans changed last minute and I ended up meeting them at Cafe Engländer which was a pleasant surprise. I LOVE THIS PLACE! It is an institution in Vienna and there are definitely some eccentrics and I am going to go ahead and put myself in that box. We gabbed, I ordered some Sacher Torte and we drank Sauvignon Blanc and it was a great end to the evening. Also, the storm arrived and the temperature dropped and I felt reborn. For real. I walked home in the rain, grateful for my friends and my life and everything. Maybe that was the wine talking.

It has been a crazy few weeks of evenings out. I will be slowing down a little in August. If I go out more than once a week (which has been the case recently), I make sure that I come home first at least one of those times and help the Kid get ready for bed before heading out. Quality time with the Kid trumps quantity and I am definitely more fun in shorter spurts. Heh. This week the Kid is off. There is a rule at public kindergartens that kids have to have at least 4 weeks off during the year. When I was told this I was like "What does he need a break from? Kindergarten isn't a job. He's not an accountant!" Also, with daycares being petri dishes of biohazards, he has easily already been off 4 weeks already but apparently that doesn't count. The Husband is taking the week off and the Nanny will come in the afternoons. Tomorrow evening we are meeting friends for a bday celebration at Frascati's. And then Tuesday I have the photoshoot and I am totally freaking out about that. And then on Thursday, we are off to Rome. OMG!

I wish you all an awesome rest of the Sunday. I will be going to water my friend's plants soon and to do unspeakable things to her apartment. Pictures might happen. Might not. Happy Sunday!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Key Word Post

A Tova Movie Re-cap: Bram Stoker's Dracula

The Way Some People Find my Blog and a Challenge