Scratching the Itch at Kritzendorf

Happy Sunday! Wimbledon is on! It has been a while since I have watched the tennis. I have a feeling it was a lot bigger in the 80's and the 90's. Is that right? Or am I  imagining that? Anyway, we are back in Vienna after our mini-break to Kritzendorf. As I wrote earlier, we booked a place in a little town just outside of Vienna for the weekend. We wanted a place that was close to the city and with a pool and we found just the place.

On Friday afternoon, I ran out of work and met the Husband and the Kid coincidentally on the Ubahn. The Kid was not happy and we have come to realize he doesn't like going underground. I was worried that the rest of the commute would be a horror but we were lucky. Once we got to the train station, he was happy and at ease. We climbed onto the S-Bahn and took it for a lengthy 8 minutes. We arrived in Klosterneuburg and we had to transfer. Unfortunately there is "work" happening on the tracks so we had to transfer to a bus to take us to Kritzendorf. We jumped on and I chose the front seat because I thought that the Kid would enjoy looking out the front. I did not predict that we would be on a highway for a portion of the time so I ended up holding him in a death grip as our bus driver recreated the film Speed. And no, I am not Sandra Bullock. After a harrowing 10 minute drive, we made it to our destination. The Kid screamed "bye bye!" as the bus drove away because I believe that was the best ride of his life EVER!!!

We walked up the Hauptstrasse and I kept pointing out gorgeous villas with turrets. I love villas with turrets. I truly do. We arrived at 4:30 and buzzed the bell and were greeted by a lovely lady. She spoke fluent English and had misunderstood my email and thought that we were visiting from Canada which makes me think I should probably pay more attention to my written German. To get to our apartment, we walked into a narrow courtyard. The Kid babbled and seemed already at home. Our host opened the door and we walked into a spacious kitchen. She showed us the living room; 2 sofas, a dining room table, TV and a daybed. And then the next room was the bedroom. Pretty great place for a great price. Plus the building is a renovated 1600's wine maker's place so the coolness/bragging rights are already there. She asked us if we wanted a table in the restaurant attached to the building we were staying in and we immediately said yes. After an hour of relaxing and chillaxing and tasting the literal house wine, we walked 10 meters to a cute courtyard with tables and benches. There were already a couple of people there and they did the whole Austrian "up and down stare at the strangers" and we tried to keep the Kid's volume down.

The Husband ordered the Heuer (name of the restaurant) GrĂ¼ner Veltliner and I chose a rose-infused sparkling wine, because pink. He ordered the cheeseburger and I ordered the cheese plate, because cheese. The Kid whipped off his shoes and walked up and down between the tables, happy as he can be. We were able to sit for a whole hour without incident (big step) and then decided to take a walk in the vineyards, because vineyards. It was idyllic and amazing and the Kid walked up the hill like a champ, yelling "BAUM! BIRD! BAUM!"

We sat in the grass for a little bit and watched the sun start to set and then it was time to head back to our rental for a nightcap and a couple of episodes of the Mentalist. The Kid passed out on the sofa and we all headed to bed about an hour later. In the morning I woke up with a start because it was already 7:30 and that is way past my normal wake up time. I decided to head down to the village Spar to stock up on some food. It was a chilly morning but I didn't notice because a) I walked by a Villa named Jacobsen and it was GORGEOUS! and b) I spied my dream house (only if the Villa isn't available). My dream house has a conservatory made out of dark wood and stained glass. And there is a turret. It was everything I could ever want in a house. Unfortunately it is not my house to own... yet. I kept walking and noticing pretty details and then I entered the smallest Spar ever. Because Kritzendorf is tiny, everybody knew I was someone they didn't know.

I stocked up on provisions, paid and then ran out of there. The walk up to the apartment is a little steep, so I regret having purchased heavy foodstuffs. I also regretted wearing shorts... shorts who betrayed me by climbing up with every step I took. I made it back, yelled at the menfolk to get ready and 30 minutes later we were on our way to the pool. Now, the pool is not located at the actual apartment/house and initially I was disappointed. It is actually just across the street and down a little hill. But I was not disappointed when we got there. There is a cute wooden gate that leads into a wooded area. There is a small cottage with a little kitchen, small living room and spotless bathroom. It was ADORABLE! Just past the cottage is the pool and this is what we claimed. The Kid was absolutely excited at the sight of what I can only imagine he thinks was a huge bathtub. We made him wait while we put him in a life vest and water wings and SPF 50. There are a few large steps into the pool which prolongs the slow descent into frigid water. The only downside is that there is a sudden drop at the end and the Kid kept trying to make a break for it. We spent 2 hours of swimming around, yelling at the Kid to stop drinking the pool water and wondering if we can rent the little cottage in the future because it is idyllic (I say that now but I can imagine on rainy days I would want to brain somebody if stuck in there too long).

Around noon we headed back to relax and watch some TV and then decided to take a walk through "town" in the afternoon. There isn't much to see besides awesome awesome houses and beautiful gardens. On our walk I noticed that the Kid was being unusually quiet and when I felt his head, I realized he was burning up. We headed back to the apartment and the Kid fell asleep and was feverish which sent me into a panic. Since his febrile seizures in the winter, we are especially vigilant. I made coffee instead of wine and braced myself for a long long night of checking him every 30 minutes. And someone up there was smiling down on me because the Amanda Know made for TV film was on and it was incredible... and I mean that in a "so terrible which makes it so awesome, is this a Lifetime film? I feel like this is a Lifetime film" way. Hayden Panattierre plays Amanda Knox and Hayden Panattierre's wig plays itself; cheap and terrible. It was a great way to stay distracted for the evening.
Who was responsible for casting this?!?
This morning we cleaned up and caught the 8:52 bus and again, even though the Kid is sick, he was amazing; until we got to the Ubahn. He is terrified of the Ubahn currently and I am not sure why. But hopefully it is just a phase. Right now he is asleep beside me, fighting a fever. Despite the fact that our trip did not end the way I thought it would, it was still an incredible time. And it makes me realize that we can definitely do more things with the Kid now. For two years we have avoided pushing him too much but now I feel like we can push him again, expand his horizons, yet avoid Ubahns. I'm proud of my little man. And yes, we will go back to Kritzendorf. I can't wait! P.S. Is there an interesting history pertaining to Kritzendorf because I feel like there is. Somebody research this and let me know. I'm tired. Thanks!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Key Word Post

A Tova Movie Re-cap: Bram Stoker's Dracula

The Way Some People Find my Blog and a Challenge