Getting Ready For Rome

In one week, I am heading to Rome. This has been one of my dreams for years and I cannot believe it is actually happening. We will be there for 3 nights and I know it is not nearly enough time to take in all the awesomeness that is the capital. Wait, Rome is the capital, right? I don't know enough about Rome and I plan to spend the next week reading as much as I can about the city. So how does one prepare for a mini-trip of a lifetime? The same way I prepare for any trip... Walk with me.

Google stuff: I am Internet queen. I can find anything and almost anyone. Nobody is safe from my mad Google skills. Now, I might be sounding a little full of myself but trust me on this. This is one of my mad mad skills. Friends take full advantage of my searching power and give me a name and a city and I will have found your middle school boyfriend in a few clicks. It's scary, I know. I kind of approach learning about a city in the same way. I will find your deep and dark secrets, Rome. And by this I mean "Top Ten Places to Eat Pasta".

Read all the books and watch all the films: I love to read and I love to watch the movies. When I am going on a trip, I like to find books and films that take place in the city/country I am visiting. I actually also do the same for seasons. Halloween time: scary books. Christmas: Christmas stories and films. Summer: Southern-based books. When I went to France a few years ago, I made sure to watch French Kiss and Le Divorce. When I went to London; Sliding Doors and Bridget Jones. Now that we are going to Rome... what to watch? What to watch? Well, I watched When in Rome and as much as I adore Kristen Bell... I wanted to stab myself in the spleen. Terrible film...terrible film. The other night, the Husband and I watched Under the Tuscan Sun and even though I have watched it a bazillion times, it never gets old. So now I have to see what other films I can watch that will get me in da mood. I think Roman Holiday might be the answer.


Buy clothes and stuff: Last Friday was a free day from work so I decided to do some shopping for the trip. On holidays I dress pretty casually but I also try and dress locally so that I won't get pickpocketed and stuff. Since I am going to Italy, the birthplace of shoes, I decided I had to get an alternative to flip flops. I found some super cute flat sandals in black with gold snake-like decorations that say "Hi, I'm a native Roman. Check out my cute shoes. Please don't steal my purse" I also bought a cute flower printed fedora because it be hot and sunny in Italy. And of course a couple of dresses that say "Hi, I'm a chubby and squat Sofia Loren. Bring me your house wine." I am currently setting out outfits for our trip and because we are taking Easy Jet, we are only bringing one suitcase which is stressing me out. How on Earth will I be able to pack for 3 nights which requires at least 9 outfits plus accessories?!?! And yes, I am very aware how obnoxious I sound... but this is important!!

And while there are so many things to see and do in Rome, I think we will be taking it easy. We booked a hotel with a pool so that we can cool down in the afternoons. I know this won't be my only time in Rome so I don't feel the need to DO ALL THE THINGS. But, knowing me, I WILL EAT ALL THE FOOD! We are sans Kid this trip and I will miss him terribly. Rome, see you soon!

But, in other news, today is a sad day. It is the one year anniversary of the passing of my dear friend Debra's husband. I cannot believe a year has passed and I cannot believe how Debra has dealt with the loss with such grace and strength. She is one of the most beautiful people I know and I am honored to be her friend. I love you, Debra and am currently missing you while you visit the Motherland. I have some champagne in the fridge for your return in a month. And you better be bringing me St. Hubert sauce and a Coffee Crisp or I will cut you. Hugs and I miss you!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Key Word Post

A Tova Movie Re-cap: Bram Stoker's Dracula

The Way Some People Find my Blog and a Challenge