I'm Back and Some Dis and Dat

Sorry that it has been a week since I have written. It is out of character for me and to be honest, I had a bit of a personal crisis. Nothing major but I had to take a break. I sometimes wonder if this has turned into the Kanye West of blogs: I mainly just talk about myself and maybe I need more range. I don't think I could stop writing even if I tried. I have received so many e-mails and messages from people over the past year - people asking for advice, people sending love, people just being awesome. Giving up this blog would not just hurt me... at least that's my opinion.. There's the Kanye in me again. So I have been thinking about adding some new topical posts and I will keep you all updated. Because a couple of things have happened (nothing major), I thought I would do a dis and dat post because there has been some dis and dat in my life this past week.

Semmering: my parents were in town and Vienna was in the middle of a heat wave. Holy crap was it hot. Tuesday night I hit my boiling point (har har) and sat in the bath tub and cried "It's so damn hot! WHY IS IT SO HOT?!?"  And then yesterday a storm hit and it was magnificent. The Husband and I had met for dinner and when we exited the Ubahn station we looked up and saw the most amazing sky. And then I said in a slight panic "That's a tornado sky!" Now the thing is is that I am OBSESSED with tornadoes. I have experienced a couple and I totally want to go tornado hunting one day. I find them fascinating. So when I saw the weird sky last night, I was convinced one was coming and the Husband just shook his head. There was no tornado last night but that sky was pretty darn awesome. On Saturday, while my parents were in town, we decided to drive to Semmering to cool down. Only an hour away, Semmering is a ski/mountain town and I love this place. The Husband and I have stayed in the Shining style hotel Panhans many times but only in the winter. Going there on a summer day was a totally different experience. We strapped the Kid into his car seat around 10:30 a.m. and we were off. I was a little apprehensive about how he would handle the one hour drive but he was amazing! We found a cute restaurant at the ski lift and the Kid ran around, happy as a clam. Why are clams happy? When it was time to drive back, he was an angel again. I truly cannot believe how different he is. It is amazing! And I am really really happy that my parents got to see how far he has come since they saw him last in December.

Kritzendorf: For the past few weeks we have been discussing family holidays. While the Kid has made amazing strides, we don't think we are plane ready yet. Well, he probably is but we aren't. On Sunday, as we melted in the afternoon, I went to AirBnB and looked up places in Austria that had a pool. And lo and behold, in pretty much the next town over, we found a place. Located in Kritzendorf, right beside Klosterneuburg (fun fact: the film The Name of the Rose is based on that monastery) is a 1600's wine maker's house that has three apartments for short term rental. It is located on a vineyard and has a garden and a pool and it is like my dream came to life when I saw that. The site said that a few people were looking at the listing and I yelled "NOT ON MY WATCH!!!" and whipped out my credit card and booked it asap. Those damn notices always send me into a panic. Threats, they work. So now we are going tomorrow and I cannot wait! The Husband will meet me with the Kid at 4 and off we will go. I have to admit that I am a little worried I won't be able to relax for the first 24 hours. I have been in constant motion for the past 2 months so a weekend with no plans is making me a little noivous. Yes, I am aware how ridiculous and spoiled I sound right now.


Rome: This is the most exciting news ever in news that is happening in my life ever! I have always wanted to go to Rome. I feel like Rome, maybe Milan too, is my mother ship. She is calling me home. I have a serious attraction to all things Italian and I have been several times; Florence, Venice, Sienna, San Gimignano, Bari, Vada and so on and so forth. But never Rome. I have been hinting to the Husband that I would like to go... and by hinting I mean "I WANT TO GO TO ROME NOW!! ROOOOOMMMMMEEEE!!!" Now, we have talked about a trip with just the two of us for a while. We are so lucky that the Mother in Law has taken the Kid for the weekend in the past so we have been able to get away once in a while. But we have never left Austria. So today it finally happened. I booked three nights in Rome for the end of July. I want to dance the happiest of dances. It is a dream come true for me and will cost us a small fortune but this is what happens when I read the books and watch the films and they feature Italy. Speaking of which, I need to start watching and reading everything that takes place in Rome. And I need some new clothes. OH MY GOD! ROME! I'm COMING!!! We should probably book flights soon, too. Heh.


Literary agents: So I know nothing about the publishing world. In my mind it kind of goes like this: the writer writes the book and the book goes into a big machine where fairies blow fairy dust on it. Then many books are churned out and placed in large stores with coffee places attached to said stores. And the writer meets with people sometimes and maybe signs these magical books. Right? That's how it works? I have no idea. I'm not a writer. But one day... that's the dream. I have mentioned a bazillion times that I am writing a book right now. It's...wait for it... about me! Actually, it starts with getting fired 5 years ago and then getting preggers and having a baby in Austria and then the daycare issues and autism and well, it's a shorter version of this whole blog with somewhat better spelling. Somewhat. I feel motivated to finish it in the next couple of months and I have decided to be proactive and start looking for literary agents. What? You may ask. What makes you think that anybody would want to be your agent? That's a good question. The shortest answer is: I'm delusional. But it never hurts to try. Today I wrote one place in the UK and I used terms like "smug" and "angsty" so this can only go well. I plan to write about 10 more places in the next couple of days. I'm going to stay positive... I am a naive little thing, aren't I? Don't answer that.

And now it is time for me to finish packing for our mini-break. I am very much looking forward to swimming and walking through vineyards and sending out smoke signals for someone to start a thread about co-sleeping so I can get all upset at all the mommy shaming. I need to also take out my brand new bright yellow Michael Kors purse and throw in my bathing suit and SPF 3,000 (the purse was a great present from my mother). Because yellow says "Hello Vineyards! Jump on in grapes, I'll take you to a safe place!"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Key Word Post

A Tova Movie Re-cap: Bram Stoker's Dracula

The Way Some People Find my Blog and a Challenge