Off to Rome!!!

YAAAAAAAAAAAYYY!!! We are going to Rome! The Kid has not had a freak out in about 36 hours. It seems he is doing just fine so we are going on our trip and I am so happy, I could cry. We will be gone for 3 nights unless I am arrested for trying to meet an Italian fashion designer. I cannot believe that today is the day! Our flight is at 2. Our taxi comes at 11:30 and yes I am aware that this is unnecessarily early but if I am not standing in front of the gate, at least an hour before boarding, I will actually die. Kersplat, dead. After close to 14 years together, the Husband and I have figured each other out when it comes to travelling. Here are our "quirks" which is French for "obnoxious habits".

I have to be at the airport super early lest I miss the plane and then I will die, actually die.

When the plane lands, I better have my carry on in my hands and I am getting into the aisle as soon as the no seatbelt sign is off. I will glare at all of you standing while the plane is still moving.

I like to stand at the "mouth" of the luggage carousel so we don't waste time for the suitcase to make the rounds. The Husband has no problem waiting and when he finally hoists it from the conveyor belt he always takes out a bystander's knees.

He will pack a terrible assortment of clothes. Yes, I did remove your highlighter stained shirt. I hate it with the passion of a thousand suns.

I will exit an airport at the speed of light, practically hitchhiking to get to our location as fast as possible. DON'T WANT TO MISS ONE DAMN MINUTE OF OUR TRIP!

He will make a cheesy joke at check in. I will roll my eyes and sigh. This has sometimes gotten us an upgrade. Ricky and Lucy, everybody!

We will both refuse help with our luggage to our room. If we have no control over the luggage, we will spend the elevator ride hissing at each other about a tip.

The TV gets turned on the minute we walk into the room. Followed by channel surfing and exclamations about which channels there are. Vegas was probably the best place. They had ALL THE CHANNELS!

The Husband will grab every brochure at the concierge. Maps are his crack.

We will literally walk non-stop with short stops at cafes at 2 hour intervals. Wine and/or beer will be consumed.

At least twice I will have a pizza margherita. There is a Big Mac index commonly used in economics. Well, I have the margherita index.

I will wake up every morning at the crack of dawn and will stare at the Husband in bed until he realizes he is being watched. This will lead to "Dear, just go to breakfast already. I'll go later." which will lead to me whining "I can't do a buffet by myself! I just can't!" (Eating alone at a restaurant alone? No problem! Buffets? Kill me now).

I will jump up and down and clap my hands when I see something beautiful. This happens at least half a dozen times in a day.

We will be at the airport way too early on the way home.

So those are our "quirks". I have actually taken some steps to avoid some of the issues that we usually have with each other when we travel. I have booked a taxi to pick us up to go to the airport (while I was writing this post, I looked outside and saw a taxi transport cab and for a minute I thought I had typed in the wrong time and I almost hyperventilated. I checked the e-mail. We are all good.) I have also booked a car to pick us up in Rome and bring us to the hotel to avoid the HOURS it takes the Husband to find out which bus to take into the city. And I am bringing my laptop this time so that in the mornings, I can let him sleep while I read all about the fake baby bump conspiracy theory regarding Kim Kardashian.

Since this is a dream trip, we are being quite decadent. We booked a nice hotel with a pool (this is what the Husband wanted. He has gills) and we have decided to be a little fancy. As a surprise, I am booking a private tour of the Colliseum and Palatine that guarantees skipping the lines. It is pricey but it will fulfill a couple of basic life pleasures: archaeology and being a VIP. The Husband doesn't know yet so I talked to a friend about it to convince myself it was a good idea.

Me: So, like I booked this super expensive tour. It is pretty pricey. It costs (too ashamed to post it here)
Her: How long does it take?
Me: Three hours. Oh wait! A THREE HOUR TOUR!! (starts humming theme song from Gilligan's Island)
Her: What are you singing?
Me: Gilligan's Island! How do you not know that?!?!
Her: Meh. Never watched it.
Me: HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE?!?!
Her: Is it any good?
Me: No.


I will have to hide the money in an envelope when I give it to the guide because I think the Husband will not be pleased. But hey, when in Rome!

I better get ready soon. I have to shower and put on self tanner and finish packing. I usually pack a few days before a trip but since we weren't sure if we were really going to go on account of the Kid, I held back. So now I am running around like a mad woman yelling "Where is my teal, faux silk three quarter length shirt?!?" or "Where is my Greek inspired gold plated necklace?!" I have to be specific because I own a lot of stuff. I'm not proud.

I wish you all a great day! I will definitely try and do updates about the trip in the mornings! Bella Italia, I'm COMING!!!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Key Word Post

A Tova Movie Re-cap: Bram Stoker's Dracula

The Way Some People Find my Blog and a Challenge