Rathausplatz Film Festival

Today is a work holiday and I am so incredibly excited to have the day off. Any days I have had off the past few months have been because the Kid has been sick or I have to do something... like, buy stuff for an event. And while I would like to think that I will use today to relax, I know a small part of me will try and clean the floors or dust. But I shall resist. I plan to get some shopping in, maybe take myself out for lunch. Maybe catch a film (just looked at what is being shown. Meh, nothing I would want to watch alone). Or maybe I will finish up this post and put on a bra and sunscreen.

In other news, a friend and I have started our own workout jars. Note to self: buy mason jar and glitter this afternoon. We have come up with a payment system that kind of goes like this:

.50 euros for every 30 minutes of walking
1 euro for 30 minutes of cycling (note to self: have office twin check my bike that has been at work since last year.)
2 euros for resistance workouts
3 euros for a run

When the jar is full, treat yo'self. I am very excited about doing this because I like money. Yes, I know it is my own money but still. Shiny!!

The other night was a blast because I went to the Rathausplatz! Woot woot! This is my favourite event of the year! Every year the city of Vienna, starting in July, sets up a massive screen in front of City Hall. There are food stands on the sides of the square and the selection is awesome! So on Wednesday night I met a friend for drinks and food.

We decided to first try out a mango drink because, vitamin C and I am worried about the scurvy. We approached the Australian stand and asked what the difference was between a mango bowle and a mango spritzer. The woman replied "The spritzer has more wine." Without missing a beat, both my friend and I said "We'll have the spritzer."

We located a standing table and toasted to our date. I decided to get some dumplings and bbq pork buns and we ate and drank and decided to get some raspberry Uhudler bowle. Delicious. Amazing. At one point my friend went to get us some rose and I was in charge of the table. Within a minute of her leaving, I was circled like a bleeding seal.

"Is this table free?"
"No, sorry."
"Space for a few people?"
"No, sorry."
"Mind if my buddy and I.."
"No, sorry."

At one point I wanted to yell "I need an adult!!" or send my friend a text message to come back as fast as possible. One guy even came and placed his stuff on our table and started a phone conversation without even asking if he could stand at our table. He obviously didn't understand "Burning a hole in your forehead with my stare" but luckily understood "Passive aggressive placing of purse on your crap" that my friend is so fluent in. We shared a Moroccan starter plate and enjoyed the rose and then decided to sit on the park on the right and snag a bench. We groaned as we sat down, grateful to have a seat for even better people watching. The Rathausplatz film festival, on any given night, is an awesome place to people watch. You got your after work business suit crowd, your over dressed teenagers, your hippies, your hipsters and as my friend said "And then the tourists taking pictures, not knowing how the whole thing works and messing up the lines" We spied a Portuguese stand and tried the house white. And I ordered Natas which are pretty much the most amazing things ever!!!

Little pastries filled with custard, they are decadent and amazing. When I ordered them, the woman at the stand was like "With sugar and cinnamon?" and I was like "You have to ask?" Amazingly good. As we sat on our bench, and took in the views (some bad hair and odd tattoos), we were suddenly swarmed by a large group of after workers. The highlight of this group was one guy in a full suit but instead of trousers, he wore tight bermudas. We were bemused? Amused? Confused? I tried to take a picture but alas, the stupid phone camera clicking sound was too obvious. Stupid protective privacy laws. We decided to be mature (with a hard T) and call it a night and I walked back home. I love walking through the city and taking in all the purdy buildings. The Ringstrasse is magnificent and still after so many years of living here, I still get a thrill. I LOVE YOU VIENNA!!

So if you are in Vienna, and you are hungry, or thirsty, or a voyeur like me, stop by the Rathausplatz Film Festival. It is open as of 11 or so, 7 days a week until September. And it is free. Oh, and when it gets dark they screen operas and ballets and concerts on the large screen. But really, I just go for the food... and men in bermuda work suits. Happy Friday!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Key Word Post

A Tova Movie Re-cap: Bram Stoker's Dracula

The Way Some People Find my Blog and a Challenge