Got My Talons Did

Finally! I finally got my mani and pedi. FINALLY! I was able to call yesterday morning and they could fit me in at 4. This the second time I have gone to La Ric in the 1st District. Last Winter, after dinner, a friend and I were walking down a pretty cobble-stoned street and both of us stopped and threw ourselves at the window of the nail salon. A walk in place in Vienna?! You don't say! I think we held hands and danced in a circle. We went soon after that night and I was happy with the results. It's a pretty place but the prices are a little high. But when you are desperate... you are desperate. I totally miss the nail salons on Yonge Street back in Toronto. 

Yesterday I arrived at 4 and was promptly placed in a large comfy chair and my feet were placed in a basin with green salts and I let myself relax... for about 5 minutes. Then it was time to tackle my lizard feet. She asked me if I wanted a medical or cosmetic pedicure. "Cosmetic please!" I answered sweetly. She looked at my feet and shook her head. "No, you need medical". Alrighty then. She pulled my feet up and started to whittle down my claws. I hate getting beauty procedures because I feel like I have a million other things to do, like look at Pinterest or judge people. I hate the process but I love the end product. So after about 20 minutes she pulled out the razor. Don't worry, not for my hairy toes, but to take care of my dead skin. I walk a lot and ergo I have terrible feet. The underside has a yellowish tone which the Husband affectionately calls my "Nicotine feet". She started and I cringed. It's embarrassing. Two years ago, while I was visiting family in Ottawa, the very nice Vietnamese woman doing my feet remarked "Look! We make whole nother person with your skin! Tee hee.". Yeah, tee hee this...Anyway, the lady yesterday really earned her keep. She broke into a sweat and I wanted to die. After 40 minutes she almost got to bone and then she applied a pretty pink coral colour and rubbed my feet with cream.

I still had a shellac manicure ahead of me and I nervously noted that I didn't have much time until I had to be home. I picked my shellac colour: Tropix because why not? The time kept ticking and I started to get that subtle impatient look on my face. Subtle.
Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't realize I needed to book 5 hours off for a mani and a pedi. Pardon my mistake.
Finally it was my turn and luckily I had texted the Nanny that I would be a little later. Bless her. I couldn't relax because I was in a rush and next time I will try and go in earlier. The end result? Worth it. I forgoed (forged?) the cream and rushed to pay. Ouch, expensive. But worth it. Then I hoofed it home. Remember the cream I mentioned that I got on my feet earlier? Yeah. Paired with faux wooden flip flops equals slip and slide effect. Awesome. At least my calf muscles benefited from all the clenching. I made it home and hugged the Kid and felt extreme guilt that I was late. Not that he would have noticed since I walked in on him licking the cutlery. 

I gave the Kid a bath and got into my Bikram outfit and kept staring at my pretty pretty toes, telling myself "No more nicotine feet for me!". Once at my Bikram class, I proudly showed off my pretty pretty feet, to myself because nobody talks to me before class (perhaps because of my lizard feet?) and told myself all the stress and shame was worth it. Yeah, until we did the standing poses. All that extra skin? Natural grip my friends. I slipped for half the class. That'll teach me to deny my lizard heritage. Namaste.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Key Word Post

A Tova Movie Re-cap: Bram Stoker's Dracula

The Way Some People Find my Blog and a Challenge