An American Diner, an Interview and a Busy Week

Last week was emotionally draining. The Kid had a super terrible virus and I was overcome with grief due to deciding on his school for next year. By the weekend I had crashed and just needed some down time. My down time included going for a run and making crafts because sitting still is impossible. On Sunday a friend came by and we worked on some crafts and since we were sitting on the floor and we are no longer in our twenties, there was a lot of groaning every time we shifted or stood up. But our crafts turned out fab for the upcoming baby shower and I cannot wait. The Kid is also better. He has a bit of a lingering cough but we sent him back to kindergarten yesterday and he was overjoyed. He also had therapy again on Monday and I am sure in his head he thought "People! Finally! Come in! Adore me!"

On Monday was the Husband's 40th birthday. I joked that I was celebrating that he hadn't turned me in for a newer model on Facebook and when I told him this he just said "There's still time." Originally I was sending him as a surprise to Namibia but unfortunately that didn't work out. Instead he will be going on holiday with his parents and his sister in a couple of months. The toughest thing is that taking a holiday as a family is pretty much impossible but maybe this summer we will try and take a trip in Austria somewhere for a few days.  We know that the Kid can do more than we can imagine so it will be definitely something we will try out. Check the news, just in case. We just need to believe more in his abilities and we need to stock up on wine. Since the Husband will be taking a trip, I will be going to Canada at the end of May. A friend is getting married and I cannot wait to go to the wedding! I am so freaking excited for her and I also adore weddings! It will also be great to be back in Toronto and I somehow need to figure out how to get myself on Breakfast Television. Last year when I was in Toronto, I tweeted Kevin Frankish (a host of Breakfast Television) to say I was back in Toronto after something like 9 years ago. He retweeted what I wrote and then mentioned it live on the air. I LOST MY EVER LOVING MIND in my hotel room. When I wrote about it on Facebook, someone was like "So, like how many people live in Toronto that they welcome you back personally on live TV." I laughed and then wrote "I'm kind of a big deal". So I am totally going to see how I can finally get on the air. This would be major and a huge boost for the autism center.

So the Husband did not get a trip to Namibia. Instead he got a dinner out at a new diner in Vienna. I love diners. When I lived in Moscow, our apartment was just across from the Starlight Diner. It was a fake silver trailer and the waitresses wore little vintage waitress dresses. The whole place was decked out in diner memorabilia. And they had 5 dollar shakes. I have so many fond memories of late nights with my friend U.T. who lived in the same building, eating cheese fries and choosing songs on the jukebox. So yes, diners, big fan. This new diner is on Gumpendorferstrasse and is called Teddy's American Diner. It is small but it is decked out and when I arrived at 4:30, the place was empty. Within 15 minutes, people started piling in. Only one guy was on duty (the owner) and he actually handled the chaos brilliantly. He cooked, took orders and was super friendly. So already, big fan. We started with chili poppers and then I had the cheeseburger and the Husband ordered the salad (called Priscilla which is kind of awesome) and I felt like a fat schlub but whatever... cheeseburger. The food was pretty good actually and the portions are huge! So I will totally be back. It's a fun place and I hope it stays in business so check it out if you are in the mood for a milkshake and some Americana food.

We got home around 7 and I decided to go for a run which I believe burned off exactly one chili popper. And then I crashed just after 9. Yesterday was an early start at work and then in the afternoon I headed to the Beaver Brewing Company. A friend had put me in contact with a journalist who is doing a series on people from different countries. Hardy har, not Mars. I showed up a little early and ordered a beer and talked to the owner a little bit. Then the journalist showed up and she was absolutely lovely. It takes a special talent to put someone at ease. I mean, I was at ease, I was talking about myself. Heh. But she was great at getting more details through her questions. The photographer showed up soon after and I asked him about his Photoshop skills. I pretty much ask every single photographer this and this is now my Dad joke. He took some awkward pictures of me. My double chin makes an appearance so look out for that when the interview comes out. More beer was ordered and it was a really lovely couple of hours. Again, I got to talk about me. Heh. Today I have to work later so I am taking this morning a little slow. Kind of. I was hoping to get a run in but the Kid is awake and is glued to my side and as I type this, he keeps snuggling up. Yes, Kiddo, Mommy loves you and is actively ignoring you for the next 20 minutes. Or not because the draw of the Kid is hard to ignore.

O.K. I am back. I've tickled him close to an asthma attack. So where was I? Oh right, busy week. Tonight will be late at work and tomorrow, the Kid's ABA therapist will be meeting with his two tutors and the Kid in the afternoon. I will run home from work to catch the tail end and have a meeting with them about his development and the next steps. Afterwards we will head to the Beaver Brewing Company for the monthly Therapy Networking Night. I don't plan to stay long because I am absolutely exhausted. On Friday I plan to do very little after work except prep for the Tiki Baby Shower that I am hosting on Saturday. Just a crazy week but next week promises to be quieter... maybe. So now I have to go and put my face spackle on and get ready for work. I hope that you all have a fabulous Wednesday! Toodles!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Key Word Post

A Tova Movie Re-cap: Bram Stoker's Dracula

The Way Some People Find my Blog and a Challenge