Short Week and then Easter... Wrote the Jew

Hello Tuesday! I am super excited that as of Wednesday afternoon, I am off work until next Tuesday! How will I spend all this free time? I imagine watching a lot of TV and maybe switching out my winter and summer wardrobe. I know, exciting. This morning I went to hot yoga. It killed me but it was great. I am aiming to get at least 2 sessions in a week because now I can almost touch my toes! It is great to be back in it and there is something to be said about being awake but not being on the Internet for 90 minutes straight. This evening a friend is coming by for dinner. Nothing fancy but we will be having wine and I hope that this time the Kid does not give himself  3rd degree burns. Speaking of the Kid, I think I bought something life changing for him... well, at least bedtime changing. I saw a Facebook friend post about a sea lamp the other week and I was intrigued. She has a boy with autism and it seemed like this lamp might be an awesome thing to have. I always figured that if the Kid didn't like it, I could always give it to the Husband.

There are a lot of toys out there for kids with autism but it is always hit and miss. I don't want to spend any more money than I have to for something that the Kid will look at in disgust. I can get that for free everyday! All he wants is a hug, to go outside for a bit and to sit in a box. I told you, it is catism. But the one thing he loves the most is water and that is why, if we ever holiday by the sea again, I will be super gluing him into a life jacket. Many children with autism love water and this is one of the reasons why the autism center is called the Beacon Beach House and will be decorated in a beach theme... the other reason is that I really like a good beach theme.

Last night I got the Kid ready for bed and sat at the foot of his bed. I turned on the sea lamp and his face just lit up with excitement. He was absolutely blown away. He looked at the ceiling, then at me, then at the lamp and you could see that this was one of the best things that has ever happened to him which means one of the best things that has happened to me. He whispered to himself and after about 10 minutes, I kissed him good night and walked out of his room. I half expected him to come charging out but there was nothing. He continued to whisper and then about 20 minutes later, he was out like a... well... sea lamp. AMAZING! I think I might even get another one for me because it is kind of neat. I am curious to see if it works again or if I just got lucky on the first night. Fingers crossed. For the rest of the week, I have a couple of plans (pizza eating, drinking wine, meeting with an accountant, drinking wine, hot yoga, drinking wine) but otherwise I am looking forward to relaxing and maybe finally learning how to refurbish a chair. I picked up an old chair on Sunday and I had grand plans to make it into a beachy style chair. I got halfway and then realized that Imma gonna have to get me some tools. I don't know why I start drawling in an accent when I start talking about tools? The seat isn't very steady and it needs cushioning and new fabric. This can only end well. But over the Easter break I will try and figure something out and hopefully I won't glue myself to the floor. Or somehow nail my foot to the chair. All possible scenarious. Now speaking of accents and tools, a friend told me about a new podcast she started listening to. I am not usually a podcast listener because I like the sound of my own voice, except I was HOOKED on Serial. I decided to try this one out which is called S-Town, by the way. I am only 2 chapters in but OMG! It is a masterpiece and I am totally blown away by it. And I cried a little. Ugh. There are 5 more chapters to go and I am ready to binge listen. Just epic. You can find it for free online so go forth and listen!

And now for my last little story before ending this blog post. If you follow the Beacon Beach House Facebook page or are my friend on Facebook (lucky you!), you would have seen my post about the Sesame Street character Julia. For a while now, there has been a lot of press about adding a character with autism to Sesame Street. I was so excited about this and maybe a little fearful. But I should have never doubted the amazingness that is Sesame Street (I am sorry, Big Bird. But sometimes you can be a bit of a flake.) Anyway, I watched the short 2 minute clip starring the new character Julia and it was PERFECTION! They totally nailed it and they were able to create a message in such a short time. There was even stimming which was great! I have always said that kids are awesome. You tell them that a kid might need a little help and support, and they will step up. There is something about their "tribe" and I think that if you give kids a chance to understand, they will be cool with it. And so a huge thank you to Sesame Street for doing this. You are pioneers in simplicity and kindness and awareness. I love you. And I swear to God, if you ever get cancelled, I will cut someone.

And so I wish you all a great Tuesday! In exactly 6 weeks, I will be en route to Toronto! I cannot wait! Toodles!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Key Word Post

A Tova Movie Re-cap: Bram Stoker's Dracula

The Way Some People Find my Blog and a Challenge