New Week

Well, hello Monday. It was a bit of a mixed weekend. There was fun and there was chest-thumping worry. On Friday after work, I met a friend to get some advice about the center. One option is to go and register as a small business but then that means 35% corporate tax and that is a little terrifying since I am just starting out. The other option is to register as a "verein" or rather club. I have been flip flopping a lot about this. If I am to set up a Verein, this means I need two other people to sit on the board. There is also a vote to keep me in charge (or not) of the board every two years. I feel like my board meetings will involve Bloody Marys and brunch. Yas. Now to get board members. We met at Heuer which is at Karlsplatz and I had wine because of course. I have only been there once before and it is a nice place: definitely a wide mix of customers: from the hoity to the hipster. I almost typed costumers and that would have been fabulous too. Unfortunately the sky opened up and I wore clogs and a dress and brought no umbrella so we went inside to finish our drinks. After the meeting, I had a couple of hours to spare (the Kid was at the in laws in the evening) so I decided not to waste any time on not drinking and socializing. I texted a couple of people and one friend said he was out at Mel's Craft Beer and so I crashed his get together. By the time I showed up I was a drowned rat and ready for a beer.

By the way, Death Becomes Her is one of my favourite films and totally on the Halloween costume list. One day, one day. Anyway, I ordered a beer and joined M.R. and his friend. I have never been to Mel's but I have to say, sadly, I was really disappointed. The guacamole is kind of green dyed paste. Yes, I am being bitchy. And the worst part? The service! Now, the waitress was lovely but the problem was was that she was the only one serving and there were at least 40 people. And when I say she was the only one serving, I mean that there was no bartender behind the bar.. nada... zip... poor woman. This isn't bad service... this is bad management. I was a server back in the day for a few months. And for at least 4 weeks I told people it was my first day. What? I like praise! Anyway, the poor woman was run (ran, runned?) off her feet and it took forever to get drinks and sadly, Mel's Craft Beer, no rose for you.

I was able to have a quick last drink when M.R.'s girlfriend arrived and then I threw money on the table and ran. I got home at 9 just in time for the Kid's bedtime and shortly thereafter, it was my bedtime too. I read my ridiculously schmaltzy romance novel and then fell into a deep sleep. Around 6, the Kid was in our bed and moving around. I reached over and wondered why it felt like a fluffy toaster strudel next to me. It took a minute but then I realized the Kid had a fever. I grabbed the thermometer and checked his temperature and it was 39.3. ALL HANDS ON DECK! We gave him some Merican pain killers and within 40 minutes, his fever was down. But he was sick sick sick. Poor little puddum didn't make any sounds all day and just sat on the sofa, looking so sad and pale. It broke my heart and I tried to get him to eat and drink but he kept pushing me away. I had to postpone my interview and right around 4, the Kid perked up and was walking around like he always does.... like that scene from Space Balls, when the alien pops out of the guy's stomach and dances around with a tophat and cane. Still funny.

Because the Kid was obviously on the mend, I didn't cancel dinner plans. I left just after 7 and met my friend on the bus. We went to Amerling Beisl and yes, I have never ever been there. It's like living in Paris and never seeing the Eiffel Tower. Sacre Bleu! We sat down and ordered drinks and then a friend who was back in town finally showed up... much later than expected. Cough. Free spirit. Cough. I had a couple of glasses of wine, some schnitzel and could not believe how absolutely gorgeous the courtyard of Amerling Beisl is. Literally vines and courtyard balconies and candles and it was beautiful. After dinner, the day of playing nursemaid hit me so I paid my bill and headed to the bus station with my friend. We walked down Stiftgasse and the smell of powdered sugar hit us like a truck. It was like a scene out Scent of a Woman and I am Al Pacino and I wanted to tango with whatever was going on in that ice cream place we had just walked by. We entered Romano Dal 1947 and then I spied something that I have never ever spied in my whole entire life: a brioche with ice cream inside. I mean, IS THIS REAL LIFE!?!?!

It was real life and I ordered the ice cream in Sacher, Biscotti del Nonna and Tiramisu flavours. It was loaded into a brioche and I could feel my arteries scream "NOOOOO!!!!!" and I ignored the bastards and took a bite. Ok, first I Instagrammed it because Tova and social media are like a horse and carriage. We walked back to the bus stop and I kept making inappropriate noises. My word. UNBELIEVABLE. And nobody told me about this place! AND YOU ARE ALL DEAD TO ME! No, I joke. If I had known about this earlier I would have to shower with a stick and sponge by now. I headed home, fell asleep and dreamed about rampant obesity. In the morning the Kid woke up and seemed a lot better and we decided to go ahead with the last minute brunch I had decided on hosting.

I cooked and we cleaned and by 11 everything was done and the brunch wasn't until 1 and I thought "Huh. I guess I am a pro." I've hosted so many parties and events that the challenge and the stress is gone. I feel like competitive event hosting would be totally up my alley and I am pretty sure there is already a show about that. Sign me up! At 1, friends started to arrive and the sparkling wine was opened and the party took off. It was a really nice mix of people and the absolute highlight was showing a picture of the Tongan flag bearer. The day before I made some joke about Trudeau and his shirt off and a friend wrote "Have you seen the Tongan flag bearer?!?" and I did a quick Google search and HOLY CRAP! I showed a picture of him at the brunch and all the ladies murmured quietly and the men got a little "hey now." and asked "What does he do?" and I did a search and it turns out he works with homeless children. The men were not happy that day, my friends. I found an amazing article in the Chicago Tribune and read quite possibly the most Simpsonesque quote I have EVER read and it went something like "No one saw the struggle, they just saw the shine." You see, Mr. Tonga was covered in coconut oil: a tradition from Tonga. During his interview, he complained that a lady accidentally put too much oil on him and all I could think was "Heh. 'accidentally', right." It was a fantastic afternoon and the last guests left at 4:30 and I put my feet up for a couple of hours. Being the masochist that I am, I decided to go for a run in the evening and I almost keeled over and died. See, the thing is, I rarely run with music. The reason being is that I put on some music and I cannot pace myself. When Miley Cyrus comes in like a wrecking ball, SO DO I! I almost went into cardiac arrest last night. It was epic.


I got home, took a shower, put the Kid to bed and then crawled into bed... not after asking the Husband to bring the Kid to our bed because even though he was doing better, he still wasn't 100%. Of course this morning he had a fever again. Ugh. Poor little guy. I think he might have thrush but who knows. The Husband stayed home with him today and I think we will keep him home one more day which means tomorrow I am on duty. Soon I will bring him to bed and once the Husband gets home, I will do another run. This time, without music. Speaking of embarrassing moments, I have had 2 of them the last couple of days. This morning while getting in the elevator, a woman said "Lovely dress!" and I looked up and said "Thank you!!" and then realized she wasn't talking to me. I wanted to crawl my way up out of the small space. THOSE WERE THE LONGEST 45 SECONDS OF MY LIFE! Ugh, the shame. But wait, on Saturday night, I outdid myself! There was a conversation at the table and someone said "I wouldn't mind living in Geneva." and another person said "Genf is nice!" and I was like "I don't know, I think Geneva is better." or something to that effect and literally the whole table stopped talking and looked at me. Yeah, turns out Genf is Geneva in German. KILL ME NOW! So yes, I am on fire! Anyway, I wish you all a fabulous Monday night! Toodles!

Comments

  1. 3 Studies PROVE Why Coconut Oil Kills Waist Fat.

    This means that you actually burn fat by consuming Coconut Fat (also coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

    These 3 studies from big medical magazines are sure to turn the conventional nutrition world around!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Key Word Post

A Tova Movie Re-cap: Bram Stoker's Dracula

The Way Some People Find my Blog and a Challenge