A Fantastic Weekend in the Country and Now Back to Real Life

Sup? Sup? I am back in Vienna after a great 48 hours. The Husband is en route to pick up the Kid from the in-laws and I cannot wait to see him. Apparently he slept perfectly the last two nights which probably means he respects and fears my mother in law more than me. Fantastic. Fingers crossed that he got his freak outs out of his system and is ready for some smothering from his mother. Yay! Can't wait! The trip was great in that while it was relaxing, it was also a very different weekend away. Usually our mini breaks involve a whole lot of lying in bed and watching Knight rider (and there is nothing wrong with that) but this time, we actually got sporty and shit.

On Friday, midday, I met the Husband at the train station and we had a quick and classy lunch at McDonalds because yes. We boarded a train just before one and made our way to Wiener Neustadt. Now, I have no clue about the history of Wiener Neustadt so I am just going to assume that Vienna was ruled by two competing twin brothers; Gustav and Karl. Karl was two minutes older and kind of a dick, so Gustav said "Fine! I am going to start my own damn city and I am going to call it.. um... how about Wiener Neustadt!" And Karl was all like "Whatever, bro." and that's the history of Wiener Neustadt. Yes. We arrived in Wiener Neustadt and had approximately 3 minutes to get to the next train and we ran like almost middle aged people and I cursed myself for not wearing a sports bra. We jumped onto the "Wiesel" (which is weasel in English) train which I assume was named after Karl and Gustav's shady and mealy mouthed younger step brother. We arrived 35 minutes later in a picturesque town called Puchberg am Schneeberg. It just rolls off your tongue!

We rolled up to the hotel and the front was that typical Alpine dark wood pretty pretty type of lodge and attached to the back of it was a, brace yourselves for a technical architecture term, big ass modern building. We checked in and I was over the moon that we were staying in the original part of the hotel. Our balcony looked out over the town and we could just see the base of the mountain because clouds don't understand brochure language that says "Mountain view". We watched a few minutes of TV, put on our running shoes and headed out into the village (which took approximately 45 minutes to see). There was a pretty ruin at the top of a hill which had a school attach to it. In this square there was a Kindergarten, an elementary and middle school as well as a high school, church, and a cemetery in the back. Small town life circle right there. I started to hyper ventilate a little. We headed back to the hotel after a drink in the lovely park and watched some Olympic coverage and then went to dinner. It was buffet style and I had a plate of beige carb goodness; Schnitzel, knoedel, eierschwammerl, butter spaetzle. Nom. After dinner we walked around a little and then headed upstairs to watch The Mentalist and I passed out by 9:30. The next morning I woke up around 7 and stepped onto the balcony and BOOM there, rather, thar she was; the Mountain. The clouds had cleared and it was a magnificent sight. I decided to go for a run because I don't know who I am anymore. I came back, took a shower and then we went for breakfast. The Husband suggested we rent bicycles and take a little tour and I asked him if he had hit his head while I was out for a run.

We went to the reception and he asked for "the smallest bike you have" and we were brought to the basement to check out their mountain bikes. I chose the one that look less likely to give me tetanus or attitude. We practiced a couple of rounds around the parking lot and I felt fairly confident I was going to die. We decided to check out a waterfall and took a lovely ride past rolling hills and country houses. It was like a century hadn't touched the landscape save for the couple of motorized roomba-like lawnmowers we spied... and all the Audis and BMW's that flew by us as I gripped my handlebars in fear. At one point I broke out into "THE HILLS ARE ALIVE... WITH THE SOUND OF MUSIC! LALALALALALAAAAAA!" and the Husband sped up but couldn't lose my tail. Heh. About 45 minutes we reached a road that led up through a forest and we jumped off our bikes and pushed them up the very steep trail. We biked a little through the forest trail at the top and stumbled upon a lovely little waterfall. After a 20 minute break of me dry heaving and sucking down a liter of water, we hopped back on our bikes and biked around the idyllic countryside. It was a lovely 2 hour tour and I said good bye to my now favourite bike and got changed for our visit to the Schneeberg. There is a famous train called the Salamander... named after those animals that are adorable on holiday but terrifying if found in your home. We jumped onto the packed train and enjoyed a 40 minute climb. We arrived and I won't lie, it was kind of terrifying to be so high up but it was GORGEOUS. We decided to do a hike up to the cross at the top of the mountain and we were pretty much the only assholes not wearing hiking boots. We made it to the cross and the Husband took a picture of me looking hefty and top heavy. I wouldn't have posted the picture but I needed proof that I did not spend the whole day in the hotel room, watching Law and Order. We ate a picnic lunch and I kept saying "THIS IS BEAUTIFUL!" or "FRANZL! SISSI!!" I'm amazed the Husband didn't try to push me off a cliff.

We finished lunch and walked a little bit more and finished up our hike with a beer at the main gasthaus, overlooking the valley and feeling incredibly smug. Probably shouldn't have felt too smug seeing that 3 years olds were kicking my ass on that mountain. Austrians are wired to be hikers. They can smoke 2 packs a day, be functioning alcoholics and not move for 3 days, but put them on a mountain? They suddenly turn into Sylvester Stallone in Cliffhanger. Our train left at 4:45 and we bid farewell to the lovely Schneeberg. We took showers and then got changed and headed to our "candle light" dinner. We decided to sit on the hotel terrace because a) it was gorgeous out and b) Harry's One Man Band on the synthesizer was going to make me hurt somebody. We had a fantastic 5 course meal and I had wine and it was just a really lovely evening of peace and quiet. After dinner the Husband went to the pool and I sat on the balcony, reading a book and having a glass of wine and it was perfect. Falling asleep took approximately 20 seconds due to all the physical exhaustion and this is probably why sporty people are happy: they sleep well. Oh, and they are probably smug, too. This morning I was woken up by torrential rain around 5:00 a.m. I kicked the Husband awake and said "Look, rain!" He appreciated my thoughtfulness. We dozed on and off and then decided to have an early breakfast and then head back to the room to sleep. We are wild, I tell you! We had originally planned on taking another bike ride but the rain wouldn't let up and I am not one to tempt fate. We caught the train around 11:30 back to Vienna. It was a great trip and it was great to rest and just enjoy a little silence. Now I will finish up the laundry and get ready for the Kid to come crashing in and probably ignore me... his way of punishing me for taking a break from serving his majesty. I wish you all a fantastic Sunday and hope you all remember a few of your favourite things!!! Dammit! I can't stop!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Key Word Post

A Tova Movie Re-cap: Bram Stoker's Dracula

The Way Some People Find my Blog and a Challenge