Kid Sick, Star Wars and Night at Home Alone

I am home today because the Kid is still not 100% and the last thing any parent wants is the dreaded phone call from the kindergarten. Once you become a parent, when the phone rings, your heart stops. Unless your kid is right beside you when it rings... then your heart stops anyway because you would much prefer a text. But no, every time I am at work, and my phone rings, the very first thought is about the Kid and whether we have to pick him up from daycare..

To be honest, I have never liked a ringing phone. It always seems to be the bearer of bad news. And I also am incredibly awkward on the phone. I think it goes back to the days of living in Vienna in the 90's when your landline cost a fortune and every call you made added to the bill. My mom bought a counter that calculated how much we would spend on calls and this was back in the days of Schillings so that bill looked high. To this day, I get nervous about talking on the phone too long. Speaking of pain, I am feeling a little bit better. Last night I went for a run and my legs killed me. I think I went a little too loco on Sunday night, hopped up on Prosecco and Taylor Swift and Miley Cyrus. After my run last night, I took a hot bath with Tetesept muscle cooling thingy something and it surprisingly made a difference. I am usually the type of gal who relies on real painkillers and not, you know, plants, but hey, if it works... This morning the Kid is watching cartoons and looking a little smug that Mommy is home and he is looking a little skinny so I am going to see what I can fry in butter to get him to eat more. I remember the days when I would skip dinner and wake up with a waistline. Those days are gone, my friends.

Tonight the Husband is out and I am trying to decide what to watch. It has been over a year since I have been to the cinema but thank goodness we have a good selection of films. What to watch? What to watch? I do totally want to see the new Ghostbusters film soon and I am fine going alone but I scare easily so I might have to find a date. To be honest, I'm not a science fiction kind of gal. Star Trek kind of passed me by. Sure, I would watch the Next Generation with my brother and dad when we lived in Canada and listen to my dad talking about Klingon women and being like "Not bad." But otherwise, I just wasn't into it. I think, to be honest, I just wasn't smart enough. The only franchise I was obsessed about was Star Wars. Back in the mid 80's, our family had been posted to Bucharest. Of course this was behind the Iron Curtain and there was literally nothing on TV besides gymnastics and the random playing of the national anthem. We had one tape. ONE! And it was the first Star Wars film. Oh how I watched that all.the.time. I wanted to be Princess Lea (one of the best female characters of all time) and I wanted my own Chewey and for some strange reason, the sound from that trash compactor is incredibly soothing and I don't know why. I finally watched the next 2 and was just as smitten. We were in Moscow when the fourth one came out (yes, yes, considered the first one, I know) and I never wanted to kill a living being until Jar Jar Binks popped up onto the screen. I was disillusioned and refused to watch any of the new ones. But I know I have to see the latest one because Han Solo is in it and heart.

That was a random paragraph above. Anyway, what am I going to watch tonight? Something ideally that I have seen before so that I can skip the boring/gory/sad parts. Suggestions? Better get back to tending to the Kid. He seems to be much better and he is definitely fever-free. Speaking of the Kid, he was such a champ on Sunday. He was feeling better and that was great, but he really was so good at the brunch. He likes when people come over, especially adults. I think he thinks they have come over for him. He won't actually interact with anyone, and it might seem that he is in his own world, but if you watch him closely enough, he is very much aware of what is going on. And he listens to everything... I think he also likes when we have people over because I am less shouty because guests. It has been a long long time since we have hosted and it was great to see the Kid be totally comfortable in small crowd. I guess he gets it from me. That and the ability to pout at an Olympic level. We were surprised when the Kid was sick again on Monday after his excitement on Sunday. I guess he is a professional. Anyway, I wish you all a fabulous Tuesday!

Comments

  1. Let's go see Bad Mom's (or whatever it's called) after a few glasses of wine. Heck, let's take the wine with us - it's Vienna and we can drink wherever we want as Moms! In fact, it's encouraged... :D
    Just a suggestion for a night where I would totally be your date! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yaaas!!! We will have to do that!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Key Word Post

A Tova Movie Re-cap: Bram Stoker's Dracula

The Way Some People Find my Blog and a Challenge